PDA

View Full Version : Purple tang nibbling on my acans HELP

Bofa
10/03/2010, 02:55 PM
I noticed my purple tang nibbling on my acans....I am not sure why....but the last few months I have noticed my acans don't open all the way up...I think this is the reason why....

Do I need to get it out of my tank??? If so How without taking out rock???

Thanks !!!

LukFox
10/03/2010, 02:57 PM
How much and how often do you feed? Do you feed nori? It could be going after your corals because it isn't getting enough food otherwise.

tom obrecht
10/03/2010, 03:00 PM
How much and how often do you feed? Do you feed nori? It could be going after your corals because it isn't getting enough food otherwise.

I agree.

flyyyguy
10/03/2010, 04:07 PM
Its either underfed or just a nibbler at heart. Underfeeding them can lead them to become nibblers and once it starts, if they happen to like it its just how it is.

All you can do is try to feed it more and hope it stops

jaa1456
10/03/2010, 04:32 PM
I had a Hippo tang that did the same thing, just ate my acans. He was always well fed and the other tangs never bothered the acans. Once I moved the fish to a larger tank it all stopped. And yes there are acans in the larger tank as well. I have heard of several hippos doing this and an orange shoulder but this is the first I have heard of a purple.

Bofa
10/03/2010, 04:39 PM
I feed him/her pellets 2 times a day....How much should I be feeding? I will put some seaweed clips in....Will he always nibble on the acans now?

DxSOR25
10/04/2010, 12:13 AM
normally a well fed fish will stay away from nipping and other problems.. seaweed and some vitamins may help the cause

Drewbaby
10/04/2010, 08:07 PM
It always seems like they go for the acans before any other corals. That might be why I haven't tried my hand at acans. I love them, but always afraid I'll lose theM

Bofa
10/04/2010, 11:47 PM
anyone know a good way to catch it without taking all the rock out?

mcdonaldjosh7
10/04/2010, 11:51 PM
Yes, a couple actually

First one: Turn off all the light to your tank, and for the room it is in. Wait 30-60 mins. Then, turn all lights on suddenly and go catch the fish. The fish should become somewhat disorientated, and catching him should be fairly easy.

Second one: Buy a fish trap. Problem is, you are likely to catch everything else in the tank before him (murphys law in a way).

I have a few more if you are interested, though most people would be scared to use them.

Bofa
10/05/2010, 12:26 AM
Mc Donald....Yes please tell me your other ideas....I would love to hear them