PDA

View Full Version : Using Half of a PVC Pipe as an Overflow?

gemini aquarius(t)
10/03/2010, 04:07 PM
I have seen it done, but I cant find the threads anymore (try searching PVC and overflow together, and you get everything that I am not looking for)

What size PVC do you use?
how do you cut it in half?

My idea is to have the overflow so that I can put the intake pipe from an aquaclear into it and get surface skimming as well as regular filtration. any ideas?

NanoReefWanabe
10/03/2010, 07:36 PM
how big is your tank you want to do this in.....i remember a while back someone used a 6" pipe in a ten gallon tank and cut the pipe in half and siliconed it to the back of the tank...i also remember someone buying a black plastic mailbox from HD and cutting the bottom off it and siliconing it in place...

as for cutting it in half...i am sure it is not for the faint of heart, and it was likely done on a table saw, by running it along the fence the same way you would rip a 2x4...cut one side at a time though...dont put the blade up high enough to cut through the hole pipe at once, that would be a crazy dangerous binding accident waiting to happen.

gemini aquarius(t)
10/04/2010, 12:38 AM
it will be in a 10g as well..
I was thinking about a 6" but that just seems really really big!

despot101
10/04/2010, 03:04 PM
I did that with both a 20h and a 10g. Here's the thread I had about it.
I used a handsaw to cut it in half, cannot remember what size I used.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894704

phox202
10/04/2010, 07:43 PM
I did that with both a 20h and a 10g. Here's the thread I had about it.
I used a handsaw to cut it in half, cannot remember what size I used.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894704

Looks like 2, maybe 3 inch from the picture.

despot101
10/04/2010, 07:50 PM
That could be. It was a pretty tight fit with the aquaclear intake and float switch.

gemini aquarius(t)
10/05/2010, 01:37 AM
I went ahead and searched at Lowe's, but they didnt have any big PVC pipe in black, so I bought a black plastic mailbox instead hahaha

we will see how it goes. looks like the right dimensions though

despot101
10/05/2010, 07:14 AM
I should have mentioned I used ABS instead of PVC as it comes in black instead of white.