PDA

View Full Version : Problem on calcium reactor, please help!!!

Mikenguyen1985
10/04/2010, 06:23 AM
I got a geo612 cal reactor set up 3 days ago but i have bubble stuck all around the media, is it suppose to be bubble in it? And i could not lower the ph inside the reactor as low as 6.5. Rite now its 7.2 .

Co2 bpm 2/sec
drip rate 4/sec

if anyone have the same problem and solve already please help. Thank you

note: i already tried to increase bpm up to 3-4 per sec and lower the drip rate to 2/sec but its just last for a few hours the the effluent had stop.

poolkeeper1
10/04/2010, 07:02 AM
It sounds like you have the unit flooded with Co2, And any adjustments you make you need 24hrs to let them settle in. Are you using a controller or not to regulate the PH?
When first set up you should let the unit run for 48hrs before you even start Co2 to get all the air and debris flushed from the unit JMO You can gently shake the reactor to get the excess Co2 to rise to the top of the reactor and out the efluent line. Then let it run for a while until it appears normal, Then start at a much slower bubble rate.
Bill

HighlandReefer
10/04/2010, 07:02 AM
I'm not familiar with calcium reactors, since I use kalk water. Perhaps posting in the Equipment Forum may result in more answers. If nothing else this will provide you a bump. :)

Two posts at the same time. :lol:

Mark Elliott
10/04/2010, 07:45 AM
As poolkeeper says 10 chances to 1 you've flooded the media with CO2. Shaking it should get the gas to the top and you'll then need to bleed the gas off and start again at a much lower rate of CO2 after a couple of days.

But - it's much easier with a controller; Tons easier, Miles easier, a different league altogether easier. Since putting a controller on my reactor I use only 30% of the gas I used to use, I don't get odd violent swings in KH / Ca++ or Mg++ and maintaining everything is just so much easier.

OK controllers aren't cheap but for the peace of mind there's no debate. I simply refill the reactor with media every 9 months and change the gas once a year (2Kg bottle lasts forever). I suppose I should buy a new pH probe once in a while too.

Given everything in this hobby costs money all I can say is buying a controller is money well spent.

Mark

Mikenguyen1985
10/04/2010, 08:58 AM
Thank you guy. I will try it when i get back home and will post a resolve later. Thanks again for your help

i had a geo612 cal reactor with a milwaki ph control.

Boomer
10/04/2010, 11:31 AM
Milken

This will help

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.htm

Calcium Reactor setup calculator (CaCO3/CO2 reactors)
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/reactor.html