PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dump kalk powder/slurry directly into sump (ie. no drip)?

ReefyRoy
10/04/2010, 09:48 AM
I've found a bit of old data from someone named Anthony Calfo (Book of Coral Propagation) describing creation of a kalk slurry that is dumped into a high flow area of a tank/sump daily for Ca/pH/Alk maintenance instead of using a slow drip. I haven't found any recent posts on this technique, and was wondering if anyone has experience with this method.

I have a 150g tank and a large (100g) basement sump that the water cascades into on its way through the filter socks, refugium, and skimmer. It seems like the area directly under my filter socks sees a significant amount of flow and is distant enough from the tank that addition of a semi-solid would allow for appropriate mixing/dilution before it gets to the display (I've dumped epsom salts there in the past without problems).

Does anyone have a similar set-up and use intermittent sump dosing of kalk?

Roy

rogersb
10/04/2010, 12:13 PM
I top off with kalk but no slurry. I woudl think you would get all the good stuff like calcium and alkalinity, but all the negatives from the slurry like the excess heavy metals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why we make our kalkwasser solution then siphon an inch or so from the bottom of the container to leave all those nasties behind?

Paco
10/04/2010, 12:40 PM
I slurry dosed based on Calfo's recommendation for several years. It's fine but since going to a 45 gallon reservoir and a LiterMeter for dosing, the stability's been wonderful and things are definitely growing better. YMMV.

DJREEF
10/04/2010, 12:43 PM
It's certainly not something I'd recommend for a small system - unless it's cut with vinegar before hand to reduce the pH.

DJ

HighlandReefer
10/04/2010, 01:19 PM
The only time I would dose a kalk slurry is if you are intentionally trying to raise your pH to fight dinos to 8.5. Other than that, it could lead to high local pH where it is added and this can result in calcium carbonate precipitation. Dripping kalk is the best method with proper overdose precautions IMHO. ;)

bertoni
10/04/2010, 03:13 PM
Dosing kalk that way does work, but overdosing would be easy. Does the tank require a lot of calcium and alkalinity, such that a drip won't work?