PDA

View Full Version : Our large RBTA

CockyBrock
10/04/2010, 12:21 PM
Maybe 15" across..possibly larger if she were to open up the whole way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIy4gzYXDgQ

only way I knew how to upload a video...

Just wanted to share :)

DZs
10/04/2010, 12:54 PM
It's beautiful. I can't wait until mine gets to be as big a yours. :)

CockyBrock
10/04/2010, 05:52 PM
When I got it, it was probably 6" and I haven't had her a year...so she's grown fast.

Not only that, she was chewed up pretty badly in a powerhead about 6 to 8 months ago...I'll attach some pics when I can figure out how to link from photobucket...

sjmantis
10/04/2010, 05:55 PM
Use the [IMG] files. Nice rbta btw

Super Bad
10/04/2010, 06:20 PM
Nice RBTA!!!!! Looks alot like one that one of my clients have, its amazing how fast they grow, has this one split yet? The one at my clients house is about 20-22" across and just split about a 8" clone!!!! This thing is crazy big, good thing its in a 650g tank. Thanks for sharing!!!

mcdonaldjosh7
10/04/2010, 06:54 PM
I always love it when RBTA tentacles get that long. Really nice color on your as well. Good job :)

CockyBrock
10/05/2010, 08:43 AM
Nice RBTA!!!!! Looks alot like one that one of my clients have, its amazing how fast they grow, has this one split yet? The one at my clients house is about 20-22" across and just split about a 8" clone!!!! This thing is crazy big, good thing its in a 650g tank. Thanks for sharing!!!

Yeah..that is CRAZY big...this one is in a 55 and basically the left side of the tank is dedicated to her. She's hosting a mated pair of black & white ocellaris and the color contrast is quite stunning if I do say so.

She hasn't split and frankly, I don't want her to...b/c she's so big and pretty and offers a great home for the clowns. But hey, if it happens it happens and we'll have another baby in the house. On the right side of the tank, we have 6 to 7 other rose anemones from a different strain. They don't get as big but are still pretty to look at.

We also have a 30 gallon breeder with a breeding pair of onyx percs and a small green bta that can't seem to stay in one spot (and our water is perfect). Oh well, guess he was born a ramblin' man! :)

Here are two pics after a round with a powerhead :( These were taken on 1/14/10 and the video is what she looks like now. Pretty decent recovery I'd say :D

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/cockybrock/RBTA/btahurt.jpg
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/cockybrock/RBTA/btahurt2.jpg

gweston
10/05/2010, 01:32 PM
Wow the nem looked like a goner from those post-powerhead pics! An amazing recovery for sure!

My RBTA grew from about 3" to nearly 10" in what I'm guessing was 4 months. But.. I was feeding it weekly/biweekly with vitamin fortified mysis. I have cut back a bit on the feedings to 1x a week and the growth has slowed. This past weekend it split. So I now have a ~6" nem and a ~4" nem. I changed from T5 to Halide lights, and I guess the light changeover was a bit of a shock. I'm quite sure that induced the split.

CockyBrock
10/05/2010, 04:09 PM
It's very possible....funny thing is we don't feed our nem that often. She catches flakes and some frozen foods when I feed the tank...but no direct feeding. I was feeding silversides, but have read horror stories about nems injuring themselves so I cut that out. She's under 4 54w T5s (mostly daylight) but when change out the bulbs at the end of the year, it'll be 2 12k and 2 actintic. I'm sure she'll continue to grow just at a slower pace...

And yes, we were crushed when we found it stuck in the powerhead. I had to cut a portion of the powerhead guard just to pull her out...and just water changes, some dosing and time and she healed right up. She's by far our favorite anemone and the clowns love it!

JeF4y
10/06/2010, 11:20 AM
+1 sweet looking nem and congrats on the rehab! I skimmed through and saw the pics and thought it had died, then read back through it =)

CockyBrock
10/06/2010, 04:36 PM
We thought it was a goner too....but fate was smiling on us!

Ben_Im
10/06/2010, 06:04 PM
Very cool. My RBTA started as a 3inch clone and grew to 8 inches across in 6 months. Fed every other day with pellet food.

CockyBrock
10/06/2010, 09:13 PM
Very cool. My RBTA started as a 3inch clone and grew to 8 inches across in 6 months. Fed every other day with pellet food.

Only thing ours gets is whatever flakes or frozen she can catch...otherwise, it's light only!

mr9iron
10/08/2010, 12:53 AM
That is a beautiful nem. I really like the way your clowns nestled in it enjoying their home.

CockyBrock
10/17/2010, 01:22 PM
SOOOO she split over night...at least 2 nems, maybe a third.

Will post photos when they all come out...

Super Bad
10/17/2010, 06:39 PM
SOOOO she split over night...at least 2 nems, maybe a third.

Will post photos when they all come out...

Sorry to hear that!!!!! J/k. I know that was not what you wanted to happen, but maybe now they can fetch a pretty penny!!! I bet your clowns are thinking, what do we do????? It has got to be confusing to wake up and have 2-3 new homes to live in. I just wish my house would split and keep growing!!! hope all is well.
Patrick

Friday Night
10/17/2010, 07:31 PM
Awsome nem brock

CockyBrock
01/10/2011, 12:08 AM
Did split into three....two are HUGE and one is a straggler.

Will get new video footage up ASAP!

CockyBrock
01/30/2011, 08:12 PM
The three pieces of the split.

Two are at least 8" across and the one in the basket would probably be 6" across if it was in the tank.

All three are doing just fine!