PDA

View Full Version : Correct Water Parameters for Carpet and Bubble Anemone??

chuckdallas
10/04/2010, 01:31 PM
I spent 2 months researching equipment here before starting my aquaium, but then that dropped off when I was ready to start the aquarium. I have a 120 gallon peninsula tank with 2 Saddleback Clowns, 2 damsels, one yellow tang and a Coral Beauty. I know that EVERYONE here has a different opinion, but what are the correct, suggested, or recommmended water parameters for cleaner shrimp and anemones? I've heard the Local Fish Store (LFS) say salinity should be 1.019 or 1.020 (in general for everything) but 3 other stores say keep it like the ocean in my area of South Florida (1.024). Is an anemone considered an invertebrate or would that be the shrimps? Some other guy here on RC told some other newbie that invertebrates need 1.026 salinity. I'm so confused. As an avid scuba diver, I have seen many different regions of the underwater world. I guess the trouble is people try to mix fish/anemones/invertebrates/corals from different regions thinking that shrimp from the Atlantic thrive in the same water conditions as fish from the Red Sea (for example). I know that's not the case, and that salinities around the world are different for different locations. Please help.

Toddrtrex
10/04/2010, 02:02 PM
I have been keeping "carpets" (( S. Haddonis, the term "carpet" is too board, different care requirements )), for 12+ years, with one specimen being with me that whole time.

I would keep them (( any anemone/invert )) at 1.026/35PPT -- I can tell when my SG is off just by the looks of my Haddonis.

Sangogo
10/04/2010, 05:44 PM
Here in Japan, 1.022 is the default salinity that most LFS keep their specimens, including invertebrates. I think this is largely due to the fact that most people don't own a QT and the lower salinity is believed to reduce ich in fish. Many people in Japan have managed to keep anemones long term at this salinity.

However, the ocean where most of the local specimens come from averages about 1.026. I used to dilute natural sea water (which is easy to obtain here) to closer to 1.022, but these days, I use it mostly as is (way less trouble this way) and the anemones really seem to like it better.

Toddrtrex
10/04/2010, 05:57 PM
Part of the issue of using 1.022, is that it is going to do nothing against ick -- would need to be at 1.009 -- so besides saving little money, there is little benefit of 1.022.

Sangogo
10/04/2010, 06:06 PM
Part of the issue of using 1.022, is that it is going to do nothing against ick -- would need to be at 1.009 -- so besides saving little money, there is little benefit of 1.022.

Haha, I agree that I don't buy it either, but for a while I was like, "woah, you mean I can store less water at home? Score!" and I tried it for a while. No real benefits except ease of storage and only in the case of natural sea water boxes. But this can be a pretty big deal in Japanese homes, which are fairly small compared to their western counterparts.

Of course, they could have other reasons for favoring the 1.022 salinity (no idea what), but I guessed it was the QT issue.