PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Quiestion

webos
10/04/2010, 07:52 PM
Hello RC

I just bought a RO/DI system and it came on friday and i'm grinning ear to ear no more tap water :dance:. After installing it I was thinking about my Water Softener that i'm thinking of putting in a couple of weeks. I didn't know if the softener would cause any problem with the ro/di or would it help it any. I could setup the ro system in my garage but i would like to keep my fish stuff in the house if i can the garage is just a bloody mess right now.

Dan

rayn
10/04/2010, 08:00 PM
I run mine after the water softner. I will help pull out some of the impurities in the water.
Make sure you are running enough pressure through your RO/DI. If not you will burn through the DI resin. I went through a canister in about 60 gallons. With a booster pump I'm still on my second canister after about 100 gallons.

PurdueWaterGuy
10/04/2010, 09:13 PM
Softeners replace scale forming minerals like calcium with non-scaling sodium - there's a lot of concentration of ions at the membranes surface, by removing those nasty scale forming ions you protect the RO membrane from deposits on the surface.

Make sense?

webos
10/04/2010, 09:15 PM
Make sure you are running enough pressure through your RO/DI. If not you will burn through the DI resin. I went through a canister in about 60 gallons. With a booster pump I'm still on my second canister after about 100 gallons.

I have a pressure gauge where i'm going to put my water softener and it right after the main shut off to the whole house and it shows around 75psi. My ro/di has a gauge on it but i'm missing some parts to hook it up to my supply. Should I look into a booster pump for it or would 75 be enough for it??

Thanks

rayn
10/05/2010, 05:08 AM
75 should be plenty. I believe they recommended around 60 - 65. I was running 35, and it would just burn through the di. I had a used canister of di, added the booster, and now am still running the 'used' di with only 2 tds for about a month. Did you get a handheld and or dual line tds meter?

webos
10/05/2010, 06:38 AM
I don't have one just yet, that will be coming soon, kinda limited on money right now.

rayn
10/05/2010, 11:09 AM
Try and find a used one or check eBay. I got my handheld for ten bucks.