PDA

View Full Version : Heaters

J.P.Reef
10/04/2010, 07:58 PM
What is the rule of thumb for heaters? How many watts would I need for a 300 gal tank. I know I should put 2 or 3 heaters instead of 1 large one. Also what brands are recommended? Thank you

Roblox84
10/04/2010, 08:38 PM
check out the marineland stealth heaters. They are pretty neat.

James77
10/04/2010, 08:50 PM
Several heaters are better than one large one. There is no rule of thumb, it greatly depends on ambient room temp and how much heat is already added via other equipment. All heater stink for reliablity, you are better off buying a dedicated temp controller like a Ranco.

I would try starting with 2-300 watt heaters, see how often they need to be on to keep the tank warm or if they can keep it warm at all and go from there.

notclear
10/05/2010, 05:14 AM
check out the marineland stealth heaters. They are pretty neat.

Don't buy any Stealth Pro heater! I have one exploded on me!

If you search you will find reports that some do explode.

If you are using one, take it out from your system as IMO you are putting a time bomb in your system.

1DeR9_3Hy
10/05/2010, 05:47 AM
Go with cheap heaters, and expensive controllers if you want to be dead sure you wont have a problem with a heater.

I use a via aqua heater, on an RKL. I am actually surprised with the via aqua....goin 3 years strong without a problem lol.

2cool4u
10/05/2010, 07:20 AM
marineland stealth heaters are junck i seen my buddies crack brand new and i know thay have a lot of problems

cdamiano
10/05/2010, 10:51 AM
I have run the stealth heaters for years without any problems. Whatever you do, don't get a glass heater.

solitude127
10/05/2010, 11:49 AM
As far as glass heaters, I've always like Eheim Jager. I definitely don't trust the thermostat on any heater. Like mentioned above, get a controller of some sort for that.

wickedfood
10/06/2010, 12:15 PM
marineland stealth heaters are junck i seen my buddies crack brand new and i know thay have a lot of problems

I haven't seen any recent posts documenting this happening. From what i understand, it was a bad batch released last winter/spring. The bad batch # is 01431. If your Stealth is of this batch, Marineland will exchange it for a new one. Just what I've read on other sites.

bigreentractor
10/06/2010, 12:20 PM
thanks for the advice! i had this same question.... i love the search feature.

Rancherlee
10/06/2010, 03:34 PM
I like my Via Aqua Titanium heaters. good heaters for the price and hold consistant temperatures quite well as they have an external control box and temperature probe. They are the only heater I've had last more than a year. I have one that's close to 4 years old now on one of my freshwater tanks.

JoeRonda
10/06/2010, 04:59 PM
I am a fan of Marineland Stealth Pro heaters I have them on all of my F.W. tanks. But I have a 300W Jager on my 160 gal S.W.system

milkman55
10/06/2010, 05:29 PM
I used three 200w Ehiem Jager heaters running on a Ranco controller. They are all set 2 degrees higher than the Ranco, so if it sticks on or the probe gets accidentally pulled out of the water, the heaters will take over and cut off. Two of the 200w can heat my 200 gals, but by using 3 instead of 2, I can lose one and keep the temp stable. You can get the 200w Jager's for slightly over $20 from one of the RC sponsors.

tomas
10/07/2010, 04:29 PM
I used three 200w Ehiem Jager heaters running on a Ranco controller. They are all set 2 degrees higher than the Ranco, so if it sticks on or the probe gets accidentally pulled out of the water, the heaters will take over and cut off. Two of the 200w can heat my 200 gals, but by using 3 instead of 2, I can lose one and keep the temp stable. You can get the 200w Jager's for slightly over $20 from one of the RC sponsors.

Any recommended sponsor(s) to order Jager heaters from in particular?

JoeRonda
10/10/2010, 07:39 PM
I got my Jager 300Watt on PetMountain.com for $26 I bet they have good prices on the 200Watt ones too. check them out

grandp10
10/10/2010, 08:09 PM
Where is the best place to get the Ranco controller?
Sorry if I am highjacking thread, just saw it recommended.

milkman55
10/10/2010, 09:12 PM
Any recommended sponsor(s) to order Jager heaters from in particular?

Sorry, I missed your question. I get my Eheim Jager heaters at Reef Geek, a RC sponsor, with great prices, service, and low shipping rates.

The Ranco controllers can be found in a number of places on Amazon and eBay. There are probably some sponsors that carry them, but I got mine on eBay. They come in single (heat OR cool) and dual control (BOTH). I use the single because I don't have a chiller.

Johnny C
10/10/2010, 10:58 PM
I haven't seen any recent posts documenting this happening. From what i understand, it was a bad batch released last winter/spring. The bad batch # is 01431. If your Stealth is of this batch, Marineland will exchange it for a new one. Just what I've read on other sites.
This isn't true- three locals have had tank crashes and two used the older model. I bought the new(er) model with the lit knob for my WC bin and it also exploded. It made my water extremely toxic and turned my PolyFilter bright blue which happens when copper is present. You couldn't pay me to use a Stealth in my tanks, regardless of the specific model. I personally use Jager heaters connected to a controller. JMO