PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about a filter sock

awestruck
10/05/2010, 07:06 AM
Do you use the thing that hangs the filter sock or do you just put the sock over the pvc pipe? Is it worth the money to buy the hanging thing? And, do you have only 1 sock or is it a good idea to buy 2 to begin with?

kalapnath
10/05/2010, 07:11 AM
Is it worth the money to buy the hanging thing?
i dont think it does anything for your tank..............
what size tank do you have are you now setting up or has it been running for some time some people use it when setting up their new tank to polish the water meaning to get out the fine particles in the water one sock or two sock all depends on the size of your tank the bigger the volume of the tank is better to have more than one ...................

despot101
10/05/2010, 07:29 AM
I've always just put it over the pvc pipe. Worked out fine for me.

awestruck
10/05/2010, 07:32 AM
Right now my animals are in a 20g. emergency tank (my other one was leaking). :(

I'll be transferring to a 65g. w/20g. sump. I've never used filter socks before, but I understand they are one more piece to aid in keeping large particles out of the tank. Since I need to order some stuff, I thought I would get 2 right away. I jusr didn't know if the hanging bracket (or whatever it's called) is worth the money, or if the sock will stay over the pvc pipe on its own.

despot101
10/05/2010, 07:37 AM
You will just want to make sure to clean them often. I changed mine once a week and just tossed them in the washing machine.

awestruck
10/05/2010, 07:45 AM
Ok, don't need the hanging thing and keep them very clean--happy to know they can easily be washed. Thanks much for the advice! :)

fishsuse29
10/05/2010, 09:39 AM
You dont need a hanger. I zip tied a plastic hanger "hook" to my drain pipe and then hang them from there and it works perfect. You can also make your own if you are trying to save money

awestruck
10/05/2010, 09:46 AM
Great advice, thanks. There are quite a few things I still need before I can get the tank running (and then wait 4 weeks to ensure no ammonia or nitrates are present), so I'd like to cut a few dollars here and there if it won't compromise the quality of the system.
You know how it is, $50.00 here, $172.00 there...

johnnyroastbeef
10/05/2010, 10:12 AM
Place the pvc into the sock, and just stand the sock up on its own.

I have a few pieces of rock under my sock to get it up to the right height. As the sock gets dirty, it starts to sag, but since I change them every 2 days or so, its never a problem. Also, once the sock does sag, its an indication that its time to change it.

duramax
10/05/2010, 10:15 AM
i just put mine over the pvc and use a tie strap to keep it from falling off

RocketSurgeon
10/06/2010, 01:35 PM
If you have two, you can be cleaning one while using the other.