PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Used Activated Carbon

FallRiverReefer
10/05/2010, 09:16 AM
just wondering if its possible to clean and re-use activated carbon...I've read a few different places about people cleaning their carbon for re-use afterwards...has anyone tried this or even know if this would work? I've read that baking it at 800 degrees ina kiln may work, read that baking it at 500 in a household oven may work, also read that boiling it may work...nothing that is concrete though. I figured I would see what you guys thought...it is a chemical reaction through which the carbon absorbs, is there something that would be able to reverse the chemical reaction so the carbon releases the toxins?

HighlandReefer
10/05/2010, 10:15 AM
The ROX 8 GAC can be thermally regenerated, but the process is more than using a standard oven. I'm sure if you search the internet you will find articles regarding the industrial process that is used to reuse GAC. ;)

HighlandReefer
10/05/2010, 10:30 AM
Activated carbon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

From this article:

1.Physical reactivation: The precursor is developed into activated carbons using gases. This is generally done by using one or a combination of the following processes:

Carbonization: Material with carbon content is pyrolyzed at temperatures in the range 600–900 °C, in absence of air (usually in inert atmosphere with gases like argon or nitrogen)

Activation/Oxidation: Raw material or carbonised material is exposed to oxidizing atmospheres (carbon monoxide, oxygen, or steam) at temperatures above 250 °C, usually in the temperature range of 600–1200 °C.

2.Chemical activation: Prior to carbonization, the raw material is impregnated with certain chemicals. The chemical is typically an acid, strong base, or a salt (phosphoric acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, zinc chloride, respectively). Then, the raw material is carbonized at lower temperatures (450–900 °C). It is believed that the carbonization / activation step proceeds simultaneously with the chemical activation. Chemical activation is preferred over physical activation owing to the lower temperatures and shorter time needed for activating material.

FallRiverReefer
10/05/2010, 11:03 AM
so basically....unless i have a kiln or a chemical stash its a no go....and a pita if i do

HighlandReefer
10/05/2010, 11:07 AM
Just having the kiln would not do it using the methods stated above, since you need either gas environments or need to use other chemicals. The process is too expensive for small batches. It takes extremely large batches using an industrial type setting to make it econcomical compared to the prices of new GAC.

HighlandReefer
10/05/2010, 11:11 AM
If your concerned about reducing the price of new GAC, you can buy it from water treatment companies in 50 lb bags, but you will need air tight containers to keep it in & you have to know which type of GAC to buy. It is much cheaper in 50 lb bags.

A 50 lb bag will require a lot of baggies and some local Reef Clubs do buy it as a group buy & then have fun at a meeting dividing it up. ;)

Percula9
10/06/2010, 09:40 AM
Try www.bulkreefsupply.com

bluereefs
10/06/2010, 10:01 AM
Is it posible to buy ROX activated carbon in 50 lb bags?
Directly from ROX manufacture, or is that to litlle amount for them to even bother :cool: