PDA

View Full Version : Removing top trim to go rimless?

Tom@HaslettMI
10/05/2010, 02:17 PM
I have a 90 gallon (48x18x24) that has been in storage for 17+ years. I'm thinking about upgrading my 50 breeder to this tank and am considering removing the black plastic trim on the top. Normally I would not consider this or recommend it to others for a tank this size but the construction of this particular tank makes it more feasible... maybe.

The has been running as as a baffle-less sump since June with ~20cm of water so I know it holds water (at least up to that point) and will not release Cu or other chemicals. My main concerns are with the glass bowing and/or the silicone seals letting go. The glass is 9mm thick and there is a glass center brace 10mm thick and 51mm wide. Additionally, the top trim is incredibly flimsy... 2mm thick (as opposed to the 5mm thick trim on a newer 75 gallon I have). Interior silicone is in much better shape than my current 11 yr old tank. The silicone between the panes of glass have a few very small bubbles present.

Would removing the top trim be safe or am I asking for a flood?

Thanks,
Tom

evsalty
10/05/2010, 02:24 PM
The trim on that tank is purely cosmetic as the center glass brace is what is helping to hold the front and back paines together at the top.

uncleof6
10/05/2010, 03:28 PM
The glass is too thin to even risk the odds. Though there is a center brace, the rim is the only thing supporting the ends of the tank. Many like to think that the rim is purely cosmetic, however-- due to the shape, it is a lot more supportive than just the silicone alone. It should never be recommended that the rim be taken off ANY tank, unless it is replaced by a euro or a new rim.

You will also find that the top edge of the glass is NOT finished, will be very rough, and most likely will cut you the first chance it gets. It would be way more work than it is worth to finish the top edges, and put a euro on it.

If you want a rimless tank, buy one or have one built. They use much thicker glass, and are "generally" put together with a little more care than mass production rimmed tanks. It is your tank, and your damage, so it is your decision.

Jim

Tom@HaslettMI
10/05/2010, 09:03 PM
The glass is too thin to even risk the odds. Though there is a center brace, the rim is the only thing supporting the ends of the tank. Many like to think that the rim is purely cosmetic, however-- due to the shape, it is a lot more supportive than just the silicone alone. It should never be recommended that the rim be taken off ANY tank, unless it is replaced by a euro or a new rim.

You will also find that the top edge of the glass is NOT finished, will be very rough, and most likely will cut you the first chance it gets. It would be way more work than it is worth to finish the top edges, and put a euro on it.

If you want a rimless tank, buy one or have one built. They use much thicker glass, and are "generally" put together with a little more care than mass production rimmed tanks. It is your tank, and your damage, so it is your decision.

Jim

Thanks for the info. I was hoping you'd chime in. I did check with a MI tank manufacturer (with a good reputation) that said they construct rimless tanks of the same dimension with 3/8" glass. But I'm not willing to risk 90 gallons of water on my living room floor.

Tom

Ocean's Edge
10/05/2010, 11:11 PM
Bad idea -- the tank needs to be designed rimless to be rimless -- that would be asking for a flood :-)

kalapnath
10/06/2010, 07:42 AM
that trim was put there for a reason..............

NanoReefWanabe
10/06/2010, 07:35 PM
for 24" tall rimless you need a minimum of 12mm glass...i would search for a new more reputable tank builder, if they are recommending a 24" tall tank be built with 9mm glass...the aquariums obsessed 60 i almost bought was 12mm glass (24"cube)...

Tom@HaslettMI
10/06/2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the input all. I agree that trim is important and as I posted above have decided not to try this. But it is ridiculous how thin the top trim on this tank is. At 2mm its hard to believe that it is doing much.

NanoReefWanabe
10/07/2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the input all. I agree that trim is important and as I posted above have decided not to try this. But it is ridiculous how thin the top trim on this tank is. At 2mm its hard to believe that it is doing much.

look at it this way...have someone wrap your arms down at your sides tight to you body using a roll of saran wrap...probably take about 8 or ten passes to get it built up to 1mm...try to break free...try it with twenty passes...it is not so much the strength and size of the trim as much as it is it's one piece uniformity/continuity.

Paco
10/08/2010, 12:55 PM
Another vote for "I wouldn't do it".

99mstng
10/08/2010, 02:02 PM
Risk vs. reward? I wouldn't do it . . .