PDA

View Full Version : Bubble algae on one rock, worry?

Rskillz
10/05/2010, 02:49 PM
So I noticed today maybe 5-6 small pieces of bubble algae attached to one of the live rocks I used to seed my 6 month old tank. It's a large rock, with a good bit of SPS attached to it. Should I remove it now and scrape it all off or just keep an eye on it? Will it spread to other rocks?

cloak
10/05/2010, 03:32 PM
If there's not to many of them, I would just try and remove them by hand right before a water change. If your gentle with them there pretty easy to dislodge from the rock. If you want, you can try an emerald crab for precautionary measures. Sometimes they'll eat them, sometimes they wont. I kinda like the looks of valonia, but they can become a plague if your not careful. Keep a close eye.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

mike_cmu04
10/05/2010, 05:07 PM
I would try to manually remove them some emerald crabs may pick at your corals.

Myka
10/05/2010, 05:14 PM
I have dealt with Valonia in plague proportions several times. So imo, manually remove it right away, and any you see in the future. If the conditions are right it can be very difficult to get rid of as it needs very, very little nutrient to grow.

ramtmac
10/05/2010, 06:00 PM
i had a bubble algea problem, tried to pull them off, but one baby one would always pop. I got 3 emerald crabs which wiped the bubble algea out. i never saw them pick at a coral once, even now when the last one(ate the other 2) is about 1"+ long.
just my experience with bubble algea was as many times as you try to be careful, theres only so long you can gently wiggle them off.

Rskillz
10/05/2010, 06:21 PM
There are already 3 emerald crabs in the tank. Perhaps that's why I've never noticed them before? Maybe my crabs finally fell behind? :rollface:

Fishamatank
10/05/2010, 06:34 PM
When you do your next water change use a hose to break them free and siphon them off the rocks. This way if you pop one you should be siphoning any spores released. I did this about a month ago to 5 or six bubbles and have not seen one since.

goober35
10/05/2010, 06:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeqtPe3XukM&feature=player_embedded

I found this last night thought it might help you out.