PDA

View Full Version : Smashers and urchins?

Moort82
10/05/2010, 03:23 PM
Ok i know there isn't probably a definate yes or no answer and it will depends on the species involved but would an urchin be possible?
I'm still unsure as to the exact species of mantis but hope to get a conformation when it arrives.
I'm thinking along the lines of a smaller urchin species, something like the short spine tuxedo urchin as i don't think it would hurt the mantis and hopefully vica versa, or is there another species which would be better.

I'm basically looking for an algae clean up crew that won't be eaten and i definately won't be adding anything until the mantis is a known species.

Thanks

Gonodactylus
10/05/2010, 04:38 PM
I don't keep urchins with stomatopods in my lab so all I can tell you is what I've seen in the field. O. scyllarus will definitely eat urchins as will G. chiragra.

In Belize, N. oerstedii and N. bredini will actually smash a hole in an urchin, eat the insides and then live in the test.

Roy

Koshmar
10/05/2010, 06:01 PM
In Belize, N. oerstedii and N. bredini will actually smash a hole in an urchin, eat the insides and then live in the test.

Roy

My god....

ritter6788
10/05/2010, 09:48 PM
Mmmmmmm...urchin roe...I keep a pink pincushion urchin with my peacock. No problems so far but the mantis will "tap" the urchin if it gets in front of his burrow.