PDA

View Full Version : Auto Top-off

Meus
10/06/2010, 04:06 PM
Can I get plans and pics of some DIY ATO systems? I am liking the Idea of adding one of these to my list of DIYs and I want to incorporate a specific space in my stand for it so I can keep everything streamlined. Thanks

der_wille_zur_macht
10/07/2010, 06:31 AM
What sort of system are you looking for?

Popular choices are:

Gravity-fed from a reservoir above the sump. Can be controlled with a mechanical float valve and/or electronic float switches and a solenoid
Direct feed from an RO/DI unit. Can be controlled in the same manner as above.
Pump-fed from a reservoir next to/below the sump. Controlled with float switches and a relay to turn the pump on and off.

Generally the most important factor is ensuring your design is fail safe. That is, if component(s) fail, it will do no harm to your system. For instance, if you use a direct feed from an RO/DI unit and control it only with a mechanical float valve, all it takes is that float valve sticking and your system will overflow with fresh water. So, instead, it's common to control direct-fed ATOs with a mechanical float valve AND a solenoid triggered by electronic float switches, such that if the valve fails, the float switches/solenoid will shut off the flow of water.

hebygb
10/07/2010, 06:57 AM
+1

But perhaps you should share the "specific space in my stand" to give us a lil more to work with.

Meus
10/07/2010, 02:56 PM
Nevermind I did a little more research on it and I have a pretty good idea of what I can do. But thank you for the replies.

Keelay
10/08/2010, 01:58 AM
Thought I'd post a reply anyways for others looking for solutions. Here's my solution

http://www.reefworkshop.com/DIY_floatswitch1.htm

Hope this helps,

Kyle

99mstng
10/08/2010, 02:08 PM
Heck of a write-up Keelay!! Have you had any issues with the pump shorting out or anything like that? How often does it come on per day?

Meus
10/08/2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks keelay, helps alot.:fun4:

Keelay
10/08/2010, 09:37 PM
Heck of a write-up Keelay!! Have you had any issues with the pump shorting out or anything like that? How often does it come on per day?

It comes on about 10 times a day for about 30 seconds each time. Nope, the pump hasn't shorted out. If you tried something like this without a
"snap action" switch you'd likely short out a pump thought. I used a maxi-jet 400 for my pump. Cheap and reliable.

Kyle