PDA

View Full Version : Deltec MC500 w/ Solana XL60 - A quiet skimmer?

navychief
10/06/2010, 05:06 PM
Does the Deltec MC500 operate quietly and efficently? I have a Euro Reef RS-100 (pictured) under the stand inside the sump. Looking for something a little smaller and a lot less noisy (wife is complaining. Must remove the wife :fun2:.)

Just kidding...

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj65/tlisom/DSCN3306.jpg

Opinions from those who own is appreciated. Or other skimmer recommendations.

viggen
10/06/2010, 07:31 PM
zero experience with deltec's.... you could always try a different pump on the ER

Like a sicce or something like that, lots cheaper then buying a new skimmer

navychief
10/06/2010, 07:37 PM
zero experience with deltec's.... you could always try a different pump on the ER

Like a sicce or something like that, lots cheaper then buying a new skimmer

I have considered a new pump, but the biggest problem I can see is being able to find the pump that's at the right height and design in order to mate up with RS-100 inlet. And then making sure it's a needle wheel or equiv.

Your right. A big chunk of money just for something more quiet. Space, not as big of an issue. The wife thing again. :sad2:

canesfan44
10/06/2010, 10:28 PM
yes the MC500 runs quietly, the only noise is that of the air getting sucked in, but you can always DIY a muffler for it, and you will be impressed with how well it works. It will skim better than your Euro-Reef, but the collection cup is kind of small so you will need to empty it more freguently.