PDA

View Full Version : Can i add more

m_wonnacott
10/06/2010, 09:29 PM
I am currently running a 55 gal that is atm sumpless and skimmerless. It has about 75 lbs of base rock that has been seeded with 5 lbs of live rock and fully cycled. Tank has been cycled for about 3 months. Current inhabitants are in order I added them 3 blue green cromis (no issues so far after three months), Royal Gramma Basslet, peppermint shrimp, Coral Beauty Angel adult(4"), Pink Firefish, and a bloodred shrimp.

I plan to add 2 false percs as the last addition to the tank.

I do plan to upgrade the tank to either a 75 or reverse 90 with sump in the next year but know not to plan based on an upgrade that could take longer to happen. So what I am wondering is do I have room to add one or two more or should i just add the clowns and call it a day till the upgrade? If i do have room what would people recomend that won't be too likly pick on the shrimp.

Iguana79
10/06/2010, 11:44 PM
When was the last time you added your last live stock? It takes a few weeks for bacteria to catch up. If you added everything at once.. I would say No and to slow down. If it has been at least a month (Just to make sure) There should be no issues adding the percs. That would be 7 Fish? Inverts don't really have much waste (Turbo Snails excepted they produce some good waste) But after the percs you might want to wait until you upgrade. Keep an eye on the water quality do test a week after you add the percs. If everything is stable.. Then you can MAYBE look at some smaller livestock.

m_wonnacott
10/07/2010, 07:52 AM
sry the fish were added 1 at a time with the shrimp added with the Angel and the firefish with about 3 weeks between each addition starting two weeks after set-up. ( i did witness the cycle since i was testing daily) Nothing was added before the three weeks after an addition.

Ya at the earliest the percs would be added is at the three week mark and i do make sure to moniter after every addition. Nitrates after the last water change were less then 5 and i do feed a bit heavier but moniter nitrates and am ready to do a water change if i find they are getting high.

serpentman
10/07/2010, 09:05 AM
The real answer depends on your future plans for this tank.

Do you plan to keep corals? If so, what kind?

m_wonnacott
10/07/2010, 09:08 AM
The plan is to add a rose bubble tip anemone to this tank (when I get my ATI 6 bulb fixture) and when i do the upgrade i plan to so with a mixed tank with primarily softies thinking like 2 sps that are easy to keep and a couple lps. Yes i know when that time comes i may have issues with the coral beauty

serpentman
10/07/2010, 09:17 AM
I'd say you'll be ok with adding a pair of clowns. Just remain diligent on water changes and make sure you're not overfeeding.