PDA

View Full Version : New group of Anthias are being clicky??

rdlisby
10/07/2010, 01:44 PM
I just added 5 Lyretail Anthias to my 180. I purchase all females after reading stories of ending up with more than one male. I realize this still may occur but we shall see. Anyway, 3 of them seem to get along great, a 4th one is nore timid and usually gets run off by one or two of the others when she gets to close. But the 4th one is making a small effort to feed but not enough I think to survive. The 5th one is a whole other story, smaller than the rest maybe 20% smaller, hid in the bottom corner of the tank up front and rested on the bottom for a couple of days. Now she has settled into a crack between 2 pieces of live rock and does not swim around the tank, and I am not seeing any effort to feed from her when I feed the tank. I have tried spot feeding with a see squirt, I have been over feeding the tank to make sure everybody can eat as much as they want. I’m just not that sure what else to try. I have had them for a week now.

Any suggestions?

cl2ysta1
10/07/2010, 01:57 PM
i usually deworm anthias.. im pretty sure the dewormer is reef safe... but anyways... the best you can do is many small frequent feedings. they will either come around or they wont. once these fish are established they are fairly hardy, but are very likely to die in the beginning. good luck

snorvich
10/07/2010, 02:48 PM
Prazipro for deworming is reef safe. What are you feeding?

tom obrecht
10/07/2010, 03:50 PM
The "runt" of the group always seemed to be pretty wary of staying out of the others way when I had anthias. I had one squa that was the smallest of all my anthias sp that constantly hid during the day and the only time I saw her was at feeding time and that was only when food went right by the spot she hid out at. If you are feeding alrger foods like mysid you might want to try some smaller foods such as cyclopeez or daphnia. That size food worked well for me for the smaller anthias. You also find in time that the smallest squa might get bolder but it sounds as if she has decided to hide out. Give it some time and see what happens.

rdlisby
10/07/2010, 03:56 PM
I'm feeding live black worms and have been feeding live brine Shrimp, although I am reading the Live Brine Shrimp is not nutritional???? I also feed New Life Spectrum pellets, Cyclopeeze, Ocean Nutrition Formula One Cubes; I have Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes and Formula Two Flakes - although I have heard differing opinions on the flakes. I think my favorite food has been the H2O Life One or Two, which ever one is for carnivores or omnivores but I am unable to find that food online which is weird???? I pick that up at my LFS.

Out of all the foods I have an automated feeder that feeds the NLS pellets every day at 2PM and then I usually feed one of the frozen foods in the evening, When I got the anthias I picked up some live foods to make sure they were eating.

VacavilleFC3S
10/07/2010, 04:51 PM
if they don't go for live brine i usually assume they have worms.

snorvich
10/07/2010, 05:37 PM
Treat them with prazipro. Also, add frozen mysis (both kinds) to their diet. Feed at least three times daily.

rdlisby
10/07/2010, 06:22 PM
Okay, so I just purchased some Prazipro. So for 180 gallons with a 40 gallon sump, I think total water volume is probably 160 to 180 gallons (I have about 160Pds of live rock). So just dump 1.5 oz of prazipro into my tank above my vortech so it really circulates???? Do I need to shut down my Skimmer. I don’t have any other filtration.

cl2ysta1
10/07/2010, 09:31 PM
i usually shut down my skimmer for half the day.. than turn it on to pull out the dewormer