PDA

View Full Version : VGV Dosing

GhostCon1
10/07/2010, 11:58 PM
I would like to begin doing this on my tank; I have read quite a lot on it but still have a few questions. I decided to go with the Vodka, Glucose, Vinegar mixture that was outlined in Coral Magazine this past month.

On to my questions:
1.) I used an online calculator to estimate my net water volume, and it says around 45-50 gallons. (Seems a bit low giving I have a 70g tank and 25 sump (10g filled)). 30x30x18 with ~85lbs rock and ~80lbs sand.
Should I go with 45 or 50g NWV?
I think I know the answer to be 45g, but like I said that just seems really low to me :sad2:

2.) Next up is that I used a Salifert test kit for NO3 and PO4 and have readings of 0mg/L. I know that it probably is not this low since I have a very light algae growing on the substrate (more of an aesthetics issue to me).
How will I know if my dosing is doing anything (besides the algae going away)?

3.) I want to dose carbon for, not only reducing NO3/PO4, but also to increase coloration to the best it can be. I have amino acids to supplement should color begin to pale. I would also like there to be no algae on the substrate and the idea of not having to clean the glass every two days is a nice thought!
Is dosing carbon for other than reducing NO3/PO4 a bad idea?

Mainly I was highly impressed with the article in Coral Magazine, with the discussion of bacterial biofilms as food for corals, etc. and want to have that in my tank. However, he doesn't mention if one can use carbon just for that purpose.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and for answering my questions.

kv2wr1
10/08/2010, 08:43 AM
I've just started this as well (about 2-3 weeks) so I'll try my best to give answers to your questions.

Start with 45g. If you dose too much your water will turn white with excess bacteria. I have not had this happen to me but have heard of this happening. It's ok to start out lower and then increase the dosage gradually.

I've been told that it could take up to 8 months for a dramatic change, but what i have noticed is that I have been getting darker and more skimmate and my water clarity has improved.

I'm not sure. I believe the overall reason is so that it improves your biological filtration & water quality and can give you a food source for some of your corals.

I hope this helps a little.

GhostCon1
10/08/2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks, it did, cleared up a few things I have thought as well. How is your dosing going?

kv2wr1
10/08/2010, 03:46 PM
So far so good. I started with just vodka at first. I noticed a little more than normal cynobacteria building up in my sump so I switched to VSV and it started to decrease. I'm liking the results so far so I'll definitely be keeping up on it.:thumbsup:

Genetics
10/09/2010, 09:00 AM
I would like to begin doing this on my tank; I have read quite a lot on it but still have a few questions. I decided to go with the Vodka, Glucose, Vinegar mixture that was outlined in Coral Magazine this past month.

On to my questions:
1.) I used an online calculator to estimate my net water volume, and it says around 45-50 gallons. (Seems a bit low giving I have a 70g tank and 25 sump (10g filled)). 30x30x18 with ~85lbs rock and ~80lbs sand.
I think I know the answer to be 45g, but like I said that just seems really low to me :sad2:

2.) Next up is that I used a Salifert test kit for NO3 and PO4 and have readings of 0mg/L. I know that it probably is not this low since I have a very light algae growing on the substrate (more of an aesthetics issue to me).

3.) I want to dose carbon for, not only reducing NO3/PO4, but also to increase coloration to the best it can be. I have amino acids to supplement should color begin to pale. I would also like there to be no algae on the substrate and the idea of not having to clean the glass every two days is a nice thought!

Mainly I was highly impressed with the article in Coral Magazine, with the discussion of bacterial biofilms as food for corals, etc. and want to have that in my tank. However, he doesn't mention if one can use carbon just for that purpose.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and for answering my questions.

Sounds like it may be a decent article. I'll have to check it out. On VGV and VGVVc or VSVVc (that's with vitamin C), I would start out slow and increase as needed. For ease of dosing go with an simple number like 50g.

If you are having algae issues then I would go ahead and use that to gauge dosing. As you increase the bacterial biofilms will out-compete nutrients over simple alga. Then gauge incremental increases based on whether algae is still present.

GhostCon1
10/09/2010, 08:03 PM
I started dosing just straight vodka today until I get ahold of some glucose. .2mL for the whole day (.1mL/20g) I went with a 40g NWV.

The algae that I have is wierd. It isn't truly that bad, it's just annoying to see it when it occasionally pops up. Non-reefers would never notice it. But I do, and that's the problem lol.

Genetics
10/10/2010, 08:49 AM
Any pictures of the algae?

GhostCon1
10/10/2010, 09:09 AM
It wouldn't show up in the pics, that's how hard it is to notice.

GhostCon1
10/10/2010, 10:39 AM
Update:
With only .3mL of vodka dosed, already I notice a decrease in algae on the sides of the glass. I haven't cleaned the sides in 3 days!

Genetics
10/10/2010, 11:37 AM
Update:
With only .3mL of vodka dosed, already I notice a decrease in algae on the sides of the glass. I haven't cleaned the sides in 3 days!

If that is the case then I would hold at 0.3mL for a few more days before increasing and note the health and polyp extension of your corals. :thumbsup:

GhostCon1
10/10/2010, 12:05 PM
Corals are looking good. This may be wishful thinking, but I think my PE is getting a tiny bit better. Still nowhere near where it was 3 weeks ago :(

Red Sea Purple Tang
10/10/2010, 12:23 PM
What type of glucose are you using?

GhostCon1
10/10/2010, 12:26 PM
I haven't picked up any glucose, yet. When I do I plan on getting either grape sugar or corn sugar (whichever is cheaper).

Once I get the glucose, then I am going to mix vodka, glucose, and vinegar for my dosing :)

scribble
10/11/2010, 12:06 PM
Genetics, I’m looking to do the same VGV concoction with the addition of Vitamin C into the mix as well (VGVVc) as you mentioned above. Do you (or anyone else) know if the Vitamin C breaks down when mixed into a solution like this? I had heard that it would break down very quickly when mixed with water, but I don’t have any background in this area, and perhaps mixed with VGV would be different. Would it perhaps be better to dose the Vitamin C as a separate component, or is it ok just to mix it in?

Dave1NC
10/12/2010, 09:39 PM
Tagging along. I read the article and have dosed vodka in the past. I have a 240 mixed reef. My plan is to use the VGV combo. Also does it matter what type of glucose you use? Is this something you can get at the supermarket? I've read that it can only be purchased where they sell home brew supplies.

Thanks in advance...

GhostCon1
10/28/2010, 09:11 AM
So, I've been dosing the VGV mixture for about 2 weeks now, I don't think I have hit the sweet spot for the daily dose since I still have some algae that grows on the walls. I am at 1.0mL/day (taking it slow, don't want to cause harm :) ).However, this could be due to my RO/DI filters being used up.

Dave1NC,
I am using corn sugar. The two that were suggested were corn and grape sugar. However, you have to get them at a health food store, organic store, whatever; Wal-Mart does not sell it.

Dave1NC
10/28/2010, 02:43 PM
I picked up some Corn Sugar at a local home brew place and mixed VVG together in a glass container.

I've also been dosing just Microbacter7 since I had the tank setup, but never added any type of carbon. I want to start dosing the VGV, but I am a little worried about the EShopps PSK 300 skimmer handling the bio-load. I get decent skim from it, but not great. From what I have read you need a pretty heavy duty skimmer to carbon dose.

My total system volume is 315 gallons. With the LR and water I would estimate around 255-265 of total water volume.

GhostCon1
10/29/2010, 09:04 AM
You want an overrated skimmer if you carbon dose (or at least a very kicka$$ one).

saltyreefguy
10/29/2010, 01:21 PM
JTagging along myself. I know there must be lots of info. On vgv dosing, But would you guys know any particular article that's abit more thorough than others. What I am hoping to find is an article which shows what type of results to expect when dosing is done correctly and in-correctly and how to remedies for goof ups. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

bertoni
10/29/2010, 02:58 PM
No one has that level of detail available. Tanks react very differently, so individual tuning seems to be the only way to go.

The most dangerous mistake likely is dosing too much, which can cause bacterial blooms and oxygen deprivation, but lots of people report losing corals with carbon dosing even without blooms.

HighlandReefer
10/29/2010, 04:44 PM
My experience with Glucose was not good, but others may find different results: ;)

Dosing Glucose
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745417&highlight=glucose

marc49127
11/12/2010, 10:48 PM
Is the glucose a liguid or is it a powder?

DJREEF
11/12/2010, 10:59 PM
Is the glucose a liguid or is it a powder?

Powder - dextrose (glucose polymer) has been in the bodybuilding community for years as a quick way to spike insulin post workout to enhance nutrient uptake (primarily aminos from protein sources). I could bore you all day with that stuff. Anyway, you can buy 4lb bags of it online. NOW supplements makes a 4lb bag that can be had for about $3 plus shipping. Check bodybuilding sites, or home brew stores.

DJ

mordibv
11/13/2010, 02:26 AM
Genetics, I’m looking to do the same VGV concoction with the addition of Vitamin C into the mix as well (VGVVc) as you mentioned above. Do you (or anyone else) know if the Vitamin C breaks down when mixed into a solution like this? I had heard that it would break down very quickly when mixed with water, but I don’t have any background in this area, and perhaps mixed with VGV would be different. Would it perhaps be better to dose the Vitamin C as a separate component, or is it ok just to mix it in?

Vitamin C does break down quickly , water or air, it doesn't matter
. I always dosed the vitamin c alone on it's own . Just make sure you use the buffered type as it can drop the alkalinty . I dosed vitamin c for my zooathids etc. It was sodium absorbate and there is another form just can't remember at the moment. .
I always made what i was going to use , dosing it on it's own .Otherwise it's just adding another carbon source .

Ghostcon1 the contents in my avatar look familiar ? LOL

HTH