PDA

View Full Version : internal parasites?

hilary22677
10/08/2010, 11:02 AM
hello. i got a blenny that i'm 100% sure has internal parasites. it acts hungry all the time but swims away from food, and when it does take food, it spits it out. looking pretty skinny these days

i've dealt with this in the past with freshwater fish, and i've done some research and have made medicated food with metronidazole. i think there's not a lot of hope for the blenny though, planning on getting rid of it as soon as i can catch it...

my concern now is the parasites spreading to my other specimins. shouldn't be a problem since i'm feeding medicated food, but i'm wondering is it even possbile for these parasites to spread? if so how spreadable are they? could i have spread them to another tank without knowing? and most importantly: can my crustaceans get them???

just wondering. :)

VacavilleFC3S
10/08/2010, 11:45 AM
you need to medicate with prazipro for parasites, metro is for bacterial infections

hilary22677
10/08/2010, 12:38 PM
ok, i've had success with that too but can you put that on food? i dont have quarantene tanks for $$ for them, and these are reef tanks

and can my crustaceans get them?

GrendelPrime76
10/08/2010, 01:39 PM
if hes not eating and getting skinny why would u think parasites? what kind of blenny is it and how long have u had him and what type of foods have u tried to feed?

VacavilleFC3S
10/08/2010, 01:56 PM
believe me i worked at a LFS for 2 years, usually if fish aren't eating anything at all it's worms.

it's completely reef safe you can add it straight to your tank aslong as you follow the directions

GrendelPrime76
10/08/2010, 02:14 PM
i just think its premature to jump to parasites when theres almost no info given on the fish or tank.it very well could be parasites but it could also be a number of factors, if hes new to the tank he could still be adjusting, maybe hes not getting food he likes, if hes sucking food up and spitting it out usualy meens he wants to eat but isnt being offered the right foods..again not trying to debate but saying the fish is sick without knowing anything else is IMO hasty