PDA

View Full Version : Survivor Tank

seaner
10/08/2010, 11:41 AM
Recently... I left on vacation for one month, yes... one month. During this time, I had a person who is not well versed with the Saltwater world look after my tank. I returned from vacation with my tank barely running:

- My return pump had gotten clogged. As a result, my pump was only returning at 20-30% of its normal capacity.
- My skimmer was running, but there was very little water flow through the sump, so it wasn't skimming. It had produced very little skimmate during my absence.
- My DSB had crashed (smelt like sulphur) b/c of the lack of water flow through the sump.
- My light to the DSB was not turning on, so my macro algae was dying.
- My tank was overheating.
- I was down to one working light fixture out of 3.
- My auto top off system failed.
- The person looking after my tank was overfeeding it.

I lost the Xenia, GSP, Mushrooms in my sump. I lost Yellow Polyps, a Pink and White Acan (3 heads), Devils Eye Paly, and PPE's in my main display. So basically except for the pink and white acan, the cheap corals died. I still had several dozen other nicer corals survive such as my open brain, scroll coral, tri colour, anemone's, etc. I only lost two fish during this episode.

I think my tank didn't fully crash b/c of the steps I took with my research and setup. I invested in a computer controller. I employed a modular sump system that had a lot of rock for natural filtration. My closed loop system helped as well.

Do you think your tank can survive a one month, no intervention test? What have you done to ensure survivability of your system in case of an emergency?

maroun.c
10/08/2010, 01:17 PM
My tank frequently endures a 2-3 weeks absence. Been away for 4 weeks currently however came back for 2 days after the first two weeks and then another 2 days every week. Of course each tiem tehre are small adjustments to make however nothing that could crash the tank.
What I do is the following:
-Split A and B additives in 500 ml bottles to be able to asses if they were properly dosed.
-Prepare the daily feeding portions and place them in the freezer in small plastic cup so my wife or father can just take out a cup every day thaw it and feed.
Prepare a checklist of things to care for.
-check on the tank every day by phone call and insist on every little small detail.
-have 2 skimmers one running on full wet which can be cleaned by my father or wife withouth the disguss factor from the smell and skimmate. 2nd one is on a dryer setting and I clean that one when Icome back usually the neck is covered after a few days and skimming stops so it never overflow.
New tank will take redundancy to another level. Will have a dual set of crucial equipment (2 T5s , skimmer, heater,return) on separate lines one with the appartment power supply liked to a backup generator and then another separate line from city supply going to a UPS with enough batteries to last a week also powering up another set of esential equipment.
Definitly adding a controller for the tank so I can check on levels while on travel.
Definitly adding remote access to a webcam or maybe connecting the tank to the appartment surveilance cameras which can be accessed remotly.
Battery backup for Tunze and vortechs in the tank.
Double safety for ATO
in sump skimmer and no direct connection to drain to avoid side effects of an overflow...