PDA

View Full Version : Can You Use Type 2 Portland Cement to Glue Live Rock

Vandal996
10/08/2010, 05:02 PM
While I was working in Guanaja my resort hooked up with Reef Relief to set permanent moorings so that the boats weren't dropping anchor on the coarl. We used two methods, one was driven into the sand like a big toggle and the other we used a 2.5" x 24" hole saw to drill 2 holes into the reef. We then inserted a big stainless "U" bolt and filled the hole with type 2 portland that was mixed on the boat and delivered in a 3"pvc tube. You would remove the bottom cap and place the tube over the hole then pull the top cap and the cement would run into the hole. The moorings were ready to use in a week.
From this experience I know that type 2 will cure under water. Do any of you have experience using this cement to glue live rock together.

Here is a link to an article on the project. I certified a bunch of local kids from the high school to raise awareness and so they could provide labor for the project. It was a pretty cool project. You haven't really dove the Caribbean until you do it with a 100lb jack hammer!

http://reefrelieffounders.com/guanaja-bay-islands-honduras-reef-mooring-buoy-project.html

cilyjr
10/08/2010, 05:55 PM
people use portland cement to make rock all the time. the issue would be as it cures it will leach lime into the water and spike the ph

iamwrasseman
10/08/2010, 06:00 PM
i would be careful as it will effect the PH yes but also it will not flex at all and may fail at a time when your not ready for it to happen .yes it will harden but also may be an eyesore as you will have difficulty controlling where it all ends up before it hardens .
im not saying that it won't work but i would really think it through first .
good luck

coopandtiff
10/09/2010, 09:12 PM
Have you done any rock making yet? As for the comment from "iamwrasseman" I was looking at making mine in forms out of the tank, letting cure for a couple of weeks prior to installing into my tank. Would be very interested to learn from your experiences.

iamwrasseman
10/09/2010, 09:59 PM
if you make them out of the tank i would suggest that you drill and use acrylic rods to give it more strength . if you use acrylic rods all you need is some epoxy sticks to secure the deal .

jeff@zina.com
10/10/2010, 07:31 AM
From this experience I know that type 2 will cure under water.

All cement cures under water, it's a chemical reaction, not "drying." And your only issue is that the cement will alter the pH of your tank as it cures, being toxic to fish in the process.

For those wanting to make their own rock, go to the granddaddy site, garf.org.

Jeff

Vandal996
10/10/2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I may play with this some. If so I will post results and pics here.