PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a 3fer - 182+92+140

mvsjrs
10/09/2010, 05:53 PM
Here's the deal - I need help/suggestions. I am converting several formerly F/W tanks to saltwater. The wife is onboard but is stressing upfront design in order to simplify operations and minimize day-to-day maintenance. Ground breaking, right?

What I would like to do is join three tanks into one system. I have a 182 tank in the family room (holding live rock until used), a 92RR in the den (minimal basic reef 100lbs LR & 100lbs sand w/o refugium) and a 140RR in the living room (empty). I also have an empty wall in my basement fish spot.

I bought a used 180 with 400lbs of live rock and 350lbs sand (and a large puffer). I had intended to resell the tank and stand but on snag...after the move it leaked. So...I got an idea to cut the leaking back pane off, cut the misc top pieces off, turn the tank onto its face, and add a new "side" made from the former front pane. Presto, 180 gallon sump 6' wide, 2.5' f-to-b, and 18" deep. From there, the project gets more hypothetical than practical at this point. So here's the idea:

182 tank (60"x24"x30") to be drilled and become a reef tank
92RR tank (corner tank) to be an over populated pandemonium tank (much like a cichlid tank where numbers diffuse aggression)
140RR (60”x18”x34”) to be an “FOWLR” lionfish, snowflake, etc… (This overflow just has trickle bio balls and bulkhead at the bottom)

These three would be plumbed from the ground floor to the basement where the sump would be. The converted 180 sump would include a dual skimmer (I like redundancy and happen to have two skimmers), a dual algae scrubber (vegetative filter?) to export nutrients, a refugium and an ATO reservoir. The basic design of which is diagramed below.

I would like any input at this point. I have lots more plumbing decisions and equipment selections but I would like folks thoughts around this setup

mvsjrs
10/09/2010, 07:41 PM
Trying to get some better images.