PDA

View Full Version : Overflow help

RiddlerJoe
10/09/2010, 09:33 PM
I'm working on building up my 90G Hagen show tank. I would like to drill this tank and use an internal overflow. I much prefer the look of the full top/bottom overflows over the smaller boxes like glass-holes.com

I however cannot find a company that sells that type of overflow. I've been told that alot of people make there own overflows using 1/8" acrylic. Where can acrylic be purchased? I'd like to buy it in black if possible.

OR does anyone make that type of overflow box that I can buy?

Riddler

jimmyj7090
10/09/2010, 11:42 PM
I know that there is at least one place online that sells them commercially, but I don't recall who :(

If you want to DIY, it's much better to go with 1/4" as 1/8" is awfully flexible and IMO is not rigid enough. (a lot of pros will tell you to build it out of glass because glass on glass is far stronger than trying to put acrylic in a glass tank. That said, I have made many acrylic overflows and never had a problem).

To source material, first try locally. Look up plastics suppliers.

Online I have had great luck with mcmaster.com just use the search function on their site and put in "acrylic sheet", then you can select the color, thickness, and size of the sheet you want. (then you will need to do some practicing to learn to bend or solvent weld to get your corners.)

RiddlerJoe
10/10/2010, 08:33 AM
Hey thanks.... I took a few hours last night to research how to bend the acrylic but haven't been able to find a good way to do it.

I've got my dimensions down, 23" high, 6" out from the tank and 8" wide.

Was hoping to line someone's pocket with some cash as I don't have alot of time...

Riddler

billdogg
10/10/2010, 12:59 PM
I use a piece of 1/4" black acrylic i got from a local plastic fabricator - it was in their scrap bin - cost = $0. Rather than try to bend it, I found it much easier to just angle it across from the side to the back as a single straight piece. It blends so well with the back glass (painted black as well) that it is barely noticeable.

HTH

NannewB
10/10/2010, 03:59 PM
You can check out Wetdryfilter.com they sell them at a reasonable price.

BeanAnimal
10/11/2010, 12:52 AM
You should consider function over form.... If you are drilling the tank, why not go with a coast-to-coast overflow instead of a "box". You could go all internal or use a slim coast-to-coast inside the tank that feeds an external box.

That way you can maximize surface skimming and minimize the area inside the tank needed for the overflow.

RiddlerJoe
10/11/2010, 06:43 AM
I don't have the room behind the tank for an external box. I looked at your design and while it makes sense, it's more involved than getting a box and buying an overflow kit.

Riddler

BeanAnimal
10/11/2010, 06:47 AM
Not really....

Both have to be plumbed to the sump and for that size tank you are going to have more than 1 standpipe anyway. You are talking about bending acrylic and building a surface to bottom box. That is much more work :)

The internal coast-to-coast is (2) pieces of glass and some silicone :)

As for an "external" box behind the tank, they can be as narrow as 2.5" - 3" and actually take up less space than that required for a traditional "through the back" standpipe.