PDA

View Full Version : Rearranging rock

squaretankguy08
10/10/2010, 05:15 PM
I came home today after leaving for the weekend and my rose anemone which had been nestled in the rocks since i got it has moved to the back wall. I thought this was rather odd in itself, but i thought maybe i would take advantage of the opportunity and rearrange my lr. I had a bad experience with this in the past stirring up the sand and the ammonia spiked so i was wondering if this was an alright idea. The sand bed is still very new, a month and a half or so. It shouldn't hurt anything right?

twelvejewelz
10/10/2010, 11:42 PM
You should be fine with changing your rock around people do it all the time. Do you run any carbon? If it would make you feel better just throw a bag of carbon in after and your water will be crystal clear. I wouldnt worry.

Sugar Magnolia
10/11/2010, 07:21 AM
It will stir up anything settled into the rockwork, but it shouldn't be a problem. I move my rocks around all the time, my HOB filter takes care of clearing up the water.

Syncere
10/11/2010, 08:16 PM
I did this twice within the last 2 months and everything did just fine.

squaretankguy08
10/11/2010, 08:24 PM
ok thanks, i went ahead and moved it around. The only casualty was my short spine urchin, i was an idiot and let a rock slip on him. But other than that it looks alot better as far as aquascaping is concerned. Thanks

dtran01
10/11/2010, 10:05 PM
also not a bad idea to stir up the sand bed while gravel vacuuming during water changes to clear the detritus that can build up if you dont have critters that turn over your sand regularly. that'll stop the worry that you might be "releasing the nitrate trap"

kellerexpress
10/13/2010, 08:28 PM
I always stir up a small section of sand during water changes and never had a problem