PDA

View Full Version : T5 - 3 x 39w -- enough light for 55g?

jetbkk
10/10/2010, 08:09 PM
Hello all,

I'm currently running a 55g 36"x18"x18" with T5 x 3 39w blubs. One of them is actinic, the others white.

What is the consensus on the quality of these lights for a 55g tank of my size? Will this cut it or do I just have to bite the bullet and go for MH? My biggest concern with MH is heat as I live in the tropics. For T5 a fan keeps temps in check but any more heat I might need a chiller.

The corals I have so far include Zoas, Toadstool Leather, Devil's Hand, some Featherdusters, Brain coral, Goniopora, and a Seabe Anenome. The maximum distance for anything is 18" but most are much closer to the lights than that. Everything has been doing fine so far.

Also any advice for best color combination? I have a feeling it would look better if it was a bit bluer (or less white).

Thanks!!

jonjonwells
10/10/2010, 08:19 PM
A 6 or 8 bulb system would allow you to have any coral you wanted.

3 bulbs just doesn't seem like very much. I had a 4 bulb system on my 45 and it was not able to keep anemones or sps at any height.

jetbkk
10/10/2010, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately I don't really have room for a 6 or 8 bulb system as my HOB skimmer and Fan take up space and there is not other way to config though for now. I've had a seabe anenome for 5 weeks and it is looking good (so far).

I can fairly easily upgrade to MH as long as the heat doesn't get me in trouble (I live in Bangkok so this is a concern). Also, do MH pull more electricity than the T5's? Power can be a bit dodgy over here so I have to consider that too.

Thanks!

RotaryGeek
10/10/2010, 08:53 PM
A 6 or 8 bulb system would allow you to have any coral you wanted.

3 bulbs just doesn't seem like very much. I had a 4 bulb system on my 45 and it was not able to keep anemones or sps at any height.

That sounds like something other than light. Or maybe you had a not too good system with no reflector's on it. 3x39w with individual quality reflectors on a 55 should be sufficient for at least LPS, if not some SPS like monticaps.

scubasteve06
10/10/2010, 11:26 PM
I'd go for a 6 bulb ATI unit, or TEK. Some of the other ones like Nova Extreme's would work too, but some question their quality.

Johnny C
10/10/2010, 11:49 PM
A six-bulb T5 over any 55G is overkill for Softys & LPS and likely won't fit over the tank. I'd try to fit a 4x54w figuration if you can. JMO

jetbkk
10/11/2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks Johnny, do you think 4x54w makes more sense than just getting MH? At the end of the day MH would take less room than all those T5 bulbs..

ScubaSteve: I really couldn't fit 6 on this tank; there just isn't room.

Because I don't have a sump I have to hang my skimmer on the side so that uses up some real estate...

rtparty
10/11/2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks Johnny, do you think 4x54w makes more sense than just getting MH? At the end of the day MH would take less room than all those T5 bulbs..

ScubaSteve: I really couldn't fit 6 on this tank; there just isn't room.

Because I don't have a sump I have to hang my skimmer on the side so that uses up some real estate...

Your tank is 36" not 48" so don't use the 54w bulbs or you will have over hang on each side.

I would honestly add one more bulb and you will be good to go. Just add some good reflectors and good bulbs.

Johnny C
10/11/2010, 09:09 AM
I skimmed the thread and assumed your tank was a standard 55G, my mistake. I second Ryans advice.

rtparty
10/11/2010, 05:26 PM
I skimmed the thread and assumed your tank was a standard 55G, my mistake. I second Ryans advice.

LOL I did the same thing until I thought about why he had 39w to begin with. 36x18x18 is a 50 gallon breeder. When people say 55g I immediately think of the 48x13 tank.

jetbkk
10/11/2010, 09:24 PM
Actually the tank was custom made here in Bangkok (that is what they do here) but I thought the volume on a 36x18x18 was 55g -- indeed you are right that this works out to 50 gallon. Sorry to confuse you guys!

I really appreciate all the feedback. So if I have things straight, adding one more T5 should give me what I need, and I don't need to worry about upgrading to MH. Right?

I have a T5 housing that fits 3 bulbs. Do they make single bulb units as well? I haven't seen them, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to add a 4th bulb to my setup.. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

scubasteve06
10/11/2010, 10:44 PM
A six-bulb T5 over any 55G is overkill for Softys & LPS and likely won't fit over the tank. I'd try to fit a 4x54w figuration if you can. JMO

Only reason I said six bulbs is because he had a 18" wide tank.