PDA

View Full Version : Instant Ocean Ca Follow-up

drummereef
10/11/2010, 11:06 AM
Hey everyone, thought I post a follow-up on the Ca levels of Instant Ocean. I just bought a new 160g bucket this past week. This time I rolled it around on the ground before opening to ensure everything was mixed up. I then made up 24 gallons of saltwater for my water change at 1.026 / 35 ppt. This time it tested right at 400 ppm! Might have been as high as 410/420 ppm as it wasn't quite clear blue on my API test kit, just slightly blue/purple. Hope this helps! :)

cherubfish pair
10/11/2010, 04:39 PM
I missed your previous thread. What was the Ca level?

bertoni
10/11/2010, 09:08 PM
I wonder whether we should be recommending that everyone mix up their salt after receiving a new container.

cherubfish pair
10/12/2010, 04:19 AM
Yeah I wonder if someone with a brand new bucket could dump half in an empty bucket and shake the two independently, then put the half back in.

drummereef
10/12/2010, 12:45 PM
I missed your previous thread. What was the Ca level?

I had tested it at 325 ppm which was way lower than their advertised levels. I believe it was a settling issue in the original bucket.

I wonder whether we should be recommending that everyone mix up their salt after receiving a new container.

I think it would be wise for everyone to do this, not just for Ca levels but all the other elements in the bucket.

Yeah I wonder if someone with a brand new bucket could dump half in an empty bucket and shake the two independently, then put the half back in.

This would also help in distribution of the particles, kind of like what you do with multiple paint cans of the "same" color.