PDA

View Full Version : General questions on my 75 gallon project

bluebbo
10/11/2010, 12:47 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my second post, and I thank everyone for helping out with my first post.
My tank setup is as follows:

75gallon with 30 gallon sump/refugium
Chaeto macro algae
AquaC EV-180 skimmer on mag drive 9.5 pump
mag drive 7 return pump
2 koralia evolution 1050
100+ lbs live rock
4 inch sand bed
Coralife dual 150W metal halide 48inch
Typhoon III RO/DI unit

Inhabitants:

small pulsing xenia (5 heads)
blue mushrooms
red mushrooms
large growing out of control green star polyps
Zoanthid colonies: 1 with like 100 heads & other with 80 heads (love these pieces)
15 hermit crabs
10 snails
2 cleaner shrimps
2 tank bred clowns
(lawn mower blenny, powder blue tang, yellow tang, 2 damsels perished in my last sad incident)
will be buying tomorrow: flame angel, golden midas blenny, 3 chromis and more clean up crew)

I've had this tank for about 8 months, but I consider it around 3months since I moved around that time. I've been lucky in that all my corals and fish have been doing well. I kept up with water changes biweekly around 15% and been stupid in just doing tests in only nitrate, ammonia, and phosphate. I also did dose purple up twice a week and I have lots of coralline algae growth. This dosing has been stopped for about 2 weeks.

Since my last incident I've decided to get more serious and started testing with salifert test kits for ph, alk, calcium, mg and bought B-ionic. Here are my readings:

ph: 8
alk: 7
Calc: 480
mag: 1300
salinity: 1.026

I was quite surprised that the readings were not as bad as I thought! haha I did more research and started adding only the part 1 of the b-ionic to raise the alk and lower the ca into more normal levels. I also did a water change with kent ph buffer to raise the ph some as well.

My question is, am I going on the right path doing all of this? Is there things I'm forgetting about? I'm hoping to make my tank as beautiful and stable as many of you on this website, and your advice and input is much appreciated!:rollface:

C0rp
10/11/2010, 01:00 PM
Seems pretty good. I'm fairly certain a 75g with two tangs is not enough room for them though.

m-rass
10/11/2010, 01:09 PM
you are doing good! keep it up, you are probably ready for some LPS now!

bluebbo
10/11/2010, 01:11 PM
Yea I knew the 2 tangs were gonna be too much for my current tank. I was thinking by the time they grow a little, I'll upgrade. But since they died, I'm just gonna keep this tank and get smaller fish which won't require a bigger tank in the future.

aquaman05
10/11/2010, 01:17 PM
Where are you going to purchase the chromis from?

bluebbo
10/11/2010, 01:21 PM
from a local guy i've known for awhile. why?

aquaman05
10/11/2010, 01:29 PM
from a local guy i've known for awhile. why?

Well i really like those and was thinking about getting some. I would have to order them is why i asked. I need to read up on them first since i dont know alot about them other than i like how they look.

bluebbo
10/11/2010, 04:00 PM
I'm talking about those light blue damsels. I thought those were pretty easy to come by? You might be talking about a different fish.

Experienced reefers please let me know if I need to know more about what I'm doing!!