PDA

View Full Version : Crocea Spawned

Aquabug
10/11/2010, 04:52 PM
I was walking past the aquarium when I noticed the water was a bit cloudy and it never is and then I saw a release of sperm and then there was a phenomenal amount of eggs in there - looked like a lot of very fine air bubbles - top to bottom and front to back.

Well, not really prepared for this as I just ran out of salt on a holiday (of course) so I can't do a water change until around 11 tomorrow morning. Did some research and added an air stone and the skimmer is going and am running a charcoal filter so hopefully this all works out. I syphoned off 10 gallons of water into a holding tank and placed the clam in there.

The fish are swimming around but look stressed and will have to monitor for ammonia spikes. It's been an hour since the event so the eggs should be dying off soon.

Now, I have to figure what caused the clam to think it was going to dye to do this. It's been very heathy and I've had it for four years now so maybe I did it by using a toothbrush this morning to scrub off a bit of algae or a 35 percent water change a few days ago but all parameters and temperature and salinity level was the same as the dt so I don't know.

Hope this works out, I'd hate to loose coral and fish! Ahh, what a night...

moliken
10/11/2010, 08:10 PM
good luck. lots of carbon, w/c asap

watchguy123
10/14/2010, 08:10 AM
That is quite an event

mr.maroonsalty
10/19/2010, 08:35 PM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/gsmsalty/Reef%20Tanks/P1010791.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/gsmsalty/Reef%20Tanks/P1010792.jpg

riorancho
10/21/2010, 07:34 AM
wow thats great...and great photo's

moliken
10/21/2010, 04:58 PM
update???????????????????????????????????

OrionN
10/21/2010, 05:21 PM
In a resonable reeftank, Crocea clam spawned should put no stress on the inhabitank. I got 10 clams in my tank a 93 g cube. A maxima 5 inches and two Crocea 5 inches each spawned. Both sperms and eggs were released. I did not do any water change and no problem from it. No baby clam either. I also got a 18 inche carpet that spawned in the same tank. I got to do water change with that episole. I don't think clams put that much of their biomass into the spawn. Large Squamosa, Derasa or Gigas spawn is another matter entirely.