PDA

View Full Version : fluval for carbon and phosban only?

Lynnmw1208
10/11/2010, 06:03 PM
So the tank I got was used and they gave me everything they were using which included a fluval 405 canister filter. Can I use this just for carbon and phosban kind of like a reactor? I'd hate to let it go to waste. or would it be easier just to buy a reactor?

lordofthereef
10/11/2010, 06:13 PM
IMO easier to get a reactor, but you could use the canister filter as well. The reason people say "no" to it is because its tendency to become a nitrate factory, as I am sure you know. Without regular cleaning, a reactor can be the same thing anyway!

jarrett
10/11/2010, 07:04 PM
yep you can use one just dont get lazy with the cleaning of the canister filter.

Palting
10/11/2010, 07:15 PM
I have it stored for right now, but I used it for the 110. It's an excellent cannister, with 4 trays of 2 compartments each for a total of 8 compartments, and a good pump. I slowly replaced all the trays with chemipure elite, and I believe it to be an excellent "reactor". Cleaned the prefilters weekly with tap water, and washed the carbon bags with discard tank water or rplaced the bags as needed. I would still use it for my 150, but I have enough filtration there now.

Brndn0515
10/11/2010, 08:42 PM
The canister filter is great to use for a media reactor. Just dont use the filter or micron pad with it. Just run the media only. The filter pads are what typically tend to be a nitrate trap. As long as it is removed it is serving the exact same purpose as a media reactor.

Palting
10/11/2010, 08:54 PM
The canister filter is great to use for a media reactor. Just dont use the filter or micron pad with it. Just run the media only. The filter pads are what typically tend to be a nitrate trap. As long as it is removed it is serving the exact same purpose as a media reactor.

No way, Jose. Worst advice ever. You WANT those filter pads to trap the detritus so they don't go onto the carbon and whatever media you have. You just make sure to clean those filters regularly.

Lynnmw1208
10/11/2010, 08:56 PM
glad to hear your opinions on it thanks! The only thing that sort of sucks is I have to have the two pipes going into the tank and not the sump because it says it's gravity fed :sad1: that is the only thing that is going to bother me. I was hoping I could put both tubes in the sump like a reactor. oh well I'll still think about getting a reactor but for right now it's very cost effective to use the fluval.

Brndn0515
10/11/2010, 09:30 PM
No way, Jose. Worst advice ever. You WANT those filter pads to trap the detritus so they don't go onto the carbon and whatever media you have. You just make sure to clean those filters regularly.

If your media reactor or in this case canister filter is ran in the proper order in your sump these solids (detritus, trash, uneaten food) should never make it into your media reactor. Overflow to MICRON SOCK, Protein skimmer, then somewhere after that falls the media reactor pulling in what should be detritus free water. Sorry should have been more clear. Wouldnt wanna give some one the "worst advice ever" LOL

FearTheTerps
10/11/2010, 09:47 PM
I would only put phosban in a reactor where you can see the media. With the phosban you need a good flow that will allow the media to tumble somewhat, but not move too aggressively that it causes the media to grind against itself and start to breakdown into small particles. Too little flow can also cause the phosban to clump-up. This is why a reactor is best so that you can control the flow through the reactor.

Palting
10/11/2010, 09:51 PM
LOL. I hear you. Shouldn't have jumped on you like that. Apologies.

Anyhow, the fluval is usually gravity fed unfiltered water directly from the DT, unlike the regular reactors that are usually fed from the sump. He could, I suppose, run the fluval off the sump after the sock and skimmer, as you said.

dtran01
10/11/2010, 09:56 PM
what if the media is just rocks of seachem denitrate which do not need (and probably should not be) turned over with the pump? those things need to be run under 50 gph.

would a canister filter be ok even if it's not in the proper order in those conditions? it's like a glorified pvc tube.

Lynnmw1208
10/11/2010, 10:01 PM
LOL. I hear you. Shouldn't have jumped on you like that. Apologies.

Anyhow, the fluval is usually gravity fed unfiltered water directly from the DT, unlike the regular reactors that are usually fed from the sump. He could, I suppose, run the fluval off the sump after the sock and skimmer, as you said.

I don't think the fluval will work in the sump will it? It says it has to be under the tank it is taking water from. I would LOVE to put it in the sump. I was probably thinking more along the lines of using GFO, but I see your point about the flow. In the fluval it would have to be in media bags. I might just spring the $60 for the double reactor from BRS and save the trouble lol. If the husband allows it :lol: I am definitely the opposite of most on this forum, the HUSBAND doesn't agree with the hobby :lol2:

geaux xman
10/11/2010, 10:05 PM
i got some BRS Carbon and GFO that I will use in a Rena xp2 canister.

Just waiting for my media bags to come in. However, I'm using glass lily pipes for the inflo/outflows. Those plastic ones that comes with the canister looks horrible.

Yeah, I believe the canister has to sit a certain length below the tank. I tried it horizontal to the tank and it would not suction.