PDA

View Full Version : Method for nitrate reactor for 28g nanocube?

dtran01
10/12/2010, 12:16 AM
I thought I'd try using seachem denitrate to control my nitrate levels. It's testing at 0 because I have a hair algae pest issue despite having no fish (therefore no feeding), poly-filter for floss and deammonia, chemi-pure elite for phosphate and carbon filtration, chaeto in a HOB fuge, and dosing algaefix.

I seriously have no idea why the hair algae is still around.

In any case, it says on the bottle that these pebble-like things need a flow of 50gph or less. My stock pump circulates water at 250gph, so other than a reactor I dont know how I'm going to get such stagnant flow.

I'm looking for suggestions :) i dont care if it's in-tank or HOB or what. I'm just wondering what options I have!

saltygeek
10/12/2010, 05:37 AM
Are you using RO or RODI?

SlvrSurfRidr
10/12/2010, 10:42 AM
get some purigen

dtran01
10/12/2010, 11:02 AM
RODI from an LFS. actually i already am running purigen.. just forgot to mention.

SlvrSurfRidr
10/12/2010, 11:38 AM
Purigen should be helping you out. I'm not sure about algaefix, but I use Algone packets and they seem to bridge the gap and get rid of the hair algae for me. Give it a couple weeks.

JasonBJones
10/12/2010, 04:15 PM
Couple of questions for you.

Have you tested the LFS's water for TDS? If not, you might ask them to test it next time you are there?
- I have seen many stores selling water that does not test at 0. If they can't, or won't, test it for you, I would highly consider purchasing somewhere else. If it is not testing at zero, it could be a factor.

Tell us a little bit more about your tank. How old is it? How old is the rock? The sand? I am particularly interested in the last two as they can become saturated with nitrates and will slowly leach nitrates into the water, which is why your water can test low but you still have constant algae growth.

If your cheato is continuing to grow, you have nitrates and phosphates coming from somewhere. You can throw all the nitrate and phosphate removers at the tank and you may hold it at bay, but you will be much better off finding the source of your problem and eliminating it. Fixing the problem is much better than throwing bandaid after bandaid at it.

roneil
10/12/2010, 06:40 PM
couple of questions for you.

Have you tested the lfs's water for tds? If not, you might ask them to test it next time you are there?
- i have seen many stores selling water that does not test at 0. If they can't, or won't, test it for you, i would highly consider purchasing somewhere else. If it is not testing at zero, it could be a factor.

+ 1

phhbrown
10/13/2010, 01:59 AM
JasonBJones brings up some good points.

As far as an idea for getting a slow flow, you could put the stuff in some kind of DIY external container with a small pump. A short length of 3" pvc pipe with two threaded caps (or one threaded and one glued slip) with some hose and/or small diameter pvc to and from the tank. You can find cheap small pumps pretty easily on the net (a pump for an indoor fountain). Put the seachem in a bag inside the 3" piece and your done.

dtran01
10/16/2010, 10:39 AM
thanks guys.

more info on my tank as requested --

I have a JBJ 28G nanocube HQI Metal Halide 150W, a CPR Aquafuge medium HOB fuge with only chaeto inside, a phosban reactor, and as I said earlier I have my media chamber with Chemi-pure elite, polyfilter, and purigen. I do use bioballs but I do rinse them out regularly. I am dosing Algaefix with limited results (might be helping as the hair algae is easier to pull out. doesn't seem to be stopping the growth).

I purchased it from a fellow reefer getting out of the hobby as a package deal. according to him it had been established for at least two years. I have had it now for almost a year, so this tank has been established for quite some time. I moved from socal to washington state and the tank was broken down for about a month but i kept the livestock alive in a quarantine makeshift tank. after recycling, the tank seemed just fine (other than the hair algae that has always been a problem before and after the move).

I do have a deep sand bed and I do try to disturb it as much as possible while gravel vacuum'ing. if it is my DSB that's the issue what else should I do?

Could it be any other issue?

raesunrae
10/17/2010, 12:15 AM
How old is your lighting?

dtran01
10/17/2010, 02:13 AM
i replaced it recently thinking it might be the issue but it isnt. new bulbs(150w 14K phoenix double-ended MH) have run now for about 3 weeks.