PDA

View Full Version : kalk burns! ouch!

dublo8
10/12/2010, 12:42 PM
Lets get this out of the way first, I'm a very intelligent human being (that's what my mom tells me anyways) I am in no way an idiot and I am always aware of the dangers of products that I use and always take precautions to make sure that me and the people around me are safe while I am using certain tools products etc.
Alright so there I was filling up my kalk container like I usually do on a weakly basis. I use a modified 5 gallon water jug fitted with a tap on the lower side part of the container to avoid getting any of the sludge into my top off. Well to make a long story short the tap got clogged up with some gunk and wasn't flowing, so what was the most rational thing to do after a few beers and a hard days work? you guessed it siphon time. Got an airline tube out of my random fish box o' stuff and started siphoning. I got a little in my mouth and didn't think anything of it. I just spit it out and continued about my business.
the next I woke up and had a horrible sore throat. but it wasn't a normal sore throat. It was more like on the top of my mouth but closer to the back, I also had some of what I thought to be kankor sores. I finally figured out what it was that caused this. My kalk mix. I decided to look up calcium hydroxide burns and found lots of links related to sports players due to the chalk lines they use on the fields. When the player(s) are sweaty running around doing what they do if they come in contact with the chalk (lime powder is still widely used) they get alkaline burns.I found a ton of info on it but some of the links are pretty graphic so i decided to leave them out.

So stay safe and be carefull because sometimes the most common things that we as reefers use on a day to day basis can be dangerous to our health.

Happy reefing

NyReefNoob
10/12/2010, 05:07 PM
does more then burn if you read the instructions, dont ever breathe the dust ;)

dublo8
10/12/2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, wasn't fun. Google calcium hydroxide burns and you'll see some things you wish you hadn't. Glad I didn't get it too badly.

EdMan71
10/15/2010, 11:55 AM
I think it can cause cancer!

Porcupinepuffer
10/15/2010, 01:08 PM
When I go to mix it before putting it in my reactor, I'm always trying to do it so carefully when I take it out of the pail not to make much dust when I'm scooping it. But no matter what, there's always some dust from it right in my face. It can be a real pain in the kalk.

Yogre
10/15/2010, 04:20 PM
You absolutely must protect your eyes when working with Kalk powder.

You only get two eyes, and lime is terribly corrosive.

dublo8
10/15/2010, 05:33 PM
From what I understand they also use lime to dispose of unwanted dead bodies.