PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got torches hosting Percs or Occ?

Costa reefing
10/12/2010, 12:59 PM
Anybody have this combination? I want to get some for my baby clowns but was thinking that the torch's sting might be too much for them.

Any other nem look-a-likes, the only things crossing my mind are hammers,frog spawn & bubble coral

Steveb
10/12/2010, 02:29 PM
I have a maroon clown with a torch (for 3 days now). I'm pretty sure it stings him it cause every now and then it will jump (for lack of a better description) but I am actually more worried about the torch than the clown.

FragFarm
10/12/2010, 02:55 PM
I have percs in a torch - 3 of them for about a year

AquaReeferMan
10/13/2010, 06:52 PM
Mine use a frogspawn or a large group of hairy mushrooms, Ive had some in the past use a torch though.

bues0022
10/13/2010, 07:18 PM
Lots have had their clowns hosted by LPS. A word of caution, sometimes the clown can end up loving it to death, so just keep an eye on it for a while. If you see tissue recession and can attribute it to the clowns and not your other tank parameters, then you should remove either the coral or the fish. Otherwise, go for it.

Dues ex machina
10/13/2010, 07:25 PM
My clown took up residence in my hammer coral about two years ago with no I'll effects to either.

dtran01
10/13/2010, 08:07 PM
i've seen this in a buddy's tank. the torch will eventually get used to the hosting clown and not retract so much after awhile. still though, the clown doesn't dive all over it the way you see them do in anemones. get used to seeing dark spots from stings on your clownfish if this does happen though.

miguelp19
10/13/2010, 08:10 PM
I have a pair of occ. that host my hammer coral. Its been about two weeks and i havent seen any side effects on either the hammer or the fish.

Costa reefing
10/14/2010, 11:38 AM
I have used hammers in the past, my clowns ended up getting scratched a lot because they would dive in and hit the skeleton, ive also had other pairings too, the one that didnt work out so well was when one of my male percs loved a couple of rics to death.

Here are some pics :D

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx255/johnatan2007/DSC01240.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx255/johnatan2007/IMG00063-20090804-2035.jpg

I was just wondering about Torch coral for the most part because it kind of looks like a nem when it grows several heads but was worried it's sting would be too much for the clowns to handle since i had had torches kill just about every other euphyllia in the tank

andymh
10/16/2010, 01:00 AM
Its not a LPS but you could try a toadstool. My percs love the toadstool more than the RBTA they have.

Costa reefing
10/16/2010, 08:41 AM
Its not a LPS but you could try a toadstool. My percs love the toadstool more than the RBTA they have.

I have a toadstool but its really tiny right now, just got to wait for it to grow out then maybe the clowns will find it appealing :lmao:

velvetelvis
10/16/2010, 11:52 PM
I had a pair of Clark's that took up residence in a toadstool coral (well, the female did--she wouldn't let the male in). The coral stopped retracting its polyps once it got used to her snuggling around in it, and even seemed to grow faster while it was hosting her (feeding off wastes, maybe?).