PDA

View Full Version : Nem pooping or dying??

chuckdallas
10/12/2010, 09:59 PM
How do you tell if a Green Carpet Anemone is pooping or dying? I was told by the LFS that it came from Sri Lanka and was "tired from the move" to Florida. I bought it and took it home. The salinity in the LFS tank was 1.026 and my tank is 1.0235. I have heard the wider the spread, the longer you need to acclimatize, so I put the sealed bag into the top of my aquarium for 10-15 minutes so the water in the bag would warm up to my water temp. After that, I opened the bag and fed the bag about 1/4 cup of my tank's water every 5 mins for another 30-45 mins. Today at lunch, I tried to give the Carpet a small (1/8 inch) piece of silverside but the tentacles wouldn't grab onto the fish. Tonight, the anemone has shrunk to about 1/10th of it's size from yesterday and it looks terrible. I know it just moved from wherever to Florida and THEN from the LFS to my house (about 2-3 days before) but how do I know if it's shocked or dying?

Toddrtrex
10/12/2010, 10:53 PM
Since this thread is very similar to your PM, I will post my reply here too.

You should have your salinity at 1.026 too, 1.023 is too low -- all of mine show signs of stress when the salinity drops at all.

I no longer use silversides -- myself and others have had issues using them -- to the point were I lost an anemone after feeding it one. I now only use frozen/thawed krill.

Some pictures would be helpful deciding how it is doing. But, I would raise up to 1.026 over the next 2 days.

Todd.

Everyones Hero
10/13/2010, 12:12 AM
How is the color & how long has it been like this?

From what I've seen they usually just close up for maybe a few hours while doing their business.

The tanks at work are far from ideal & the SG is around 1.019. After a 30 min temp acclimation they're put in the water & they usually open up almost immediately.

How are the other anemones you have?

chuckdallas
10/13/2010, 05:12 AM
The other Carpet and BTA are doing just fine, which is why I was just concerned about the new Green Carpet.