PDA

View Full Version : Lighting My sps Tank

Alex T.
10/13/2010, 06:15 PM
Tank is a 150 gallon (72L x 18W x 27H) with a god awful center brace made of plastic. Running 3 lamps is almost out of the question as the center brace would get fried. I currently have 2 Radium 400 watt halides in Spider Reflectors (one on each 36" opening) on Galaxy ballasts with 4 Supplemental t5's. Most reflectors (even lumenbright and lumenarc minis) are out of the question as they would still be too large with the t5 reflectors mounted next them getting in the way with my tank width of 18". The only reflectors that appear to fit are the Reef Optix 1 Pendants which are 9 inches wide.

Anybody ever seen these pendants? Will they outperform spider reflectors? I really didn't want to spring for new reflectors unless I could really prove they made a difference.

Thanks in advance.

jonjonwells
10/13/2010, 08:09 PM
Take a look at the IceCap pendants. You can get them in either SE or DE setups.
http://www.marinedepot.com/IceCap_250_400_HQI_All_Aluminum_Pendant_Double_Ended_Metal_Halide_Pendants-IceCap-IC3711-FILTFIMHPDDE-vi.html
The only downside to this particular pendant is the rather sharp cutoff at the sides.

I have the same tank. I run 4 250W halides, 4 36" t-5s, and 2 72" VHO. It all fits with these pendants.