PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer overflows with water topoff. Any suggestions?

ghostman
10/14/2010, 07:15 AM
I am using a BK mini 180 and an ATB 840 on my tanks. When I add topoff water, both skimmers overflow considerably causing skimmate to spill into the sump. I realize that this is due to the skimmer being in a higher water level. Does anyone have any suggestions to stop this? Should I use baffles to keep my skimmer in a deeper section of the sump. Right now my sump is open.
Thanks...

das75
10/14/2010, 07:21 AM
your right, baffles the usual way to keep the skimmer at a constant depth, plus the benefit to stop micro bubbles back to the tank. Until then a auto-top off or more frequent (smaller) manual tops offs would help.

mfinn
10/14/2010, 08:58 AM
You need to add a section to your sump that the water level will not change when the ato adds water.

johnwonus
10/17/2010, 03:43 PM
You can cut a bucket off at the correct height you want the water to be at the skimmer and puth the skimmer in the bucket and the bucket in the sump. All you do then is have the return from the tank flow into the bucket and overflow into the sump. That will keep the skimmer level contstant. Pretty simple. Just select a bucket that is small enough to fit in your sump.