PDA

View Full Version : Using tap water....what should I check to make sure it's safe?

windowlicker916
10/14/2010, 01:44 PM
I read that if your tap water is the right parameters that it's safe to use in most situations with a reef tank.

Granted if this is true, what would I be testing for in my water or checking my local water companies water report for?

chimmike
10/14/2010, 02:02 PM
check the TDS.

windowlicker916
10/14/2010, 02:05 PM
my GH/KH are both 11 degrees but I don't think that is exactly TDS right? From what I read I would need a TDS meter to check. Right?

What's an acceptable level?

zvonmonet
10/14/2010, 02:10 PM
i honestly don't think you will save more money using tap water and using all kinda chemicals to kill chlorine and other crap in it and spending money on testing kits.... it might work at start but later it will hurt you

i found a water store near my house and i pay $2.20 for 5 gallons no need for testing it, or any hustle just come pick up 30-40 gallons and you are good for a week or two

RVANANO
10/14/2010, 02:27 PM
Get an RO/DI unit. One of the best purchases I ever made!!

borderjo
10/14/2010, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't risk using tap water no matter what the parameters. You never know what is hiding in it, and you can never test for everything that is removed by RO/DI. If you run your tank for very long, they can seep into the rock and you may NEVER get them out.

chimmike
10/14/2010, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't risk using tap water no matter what the parameters. You never know what is hiding in it, and you can never test for everything that is removed by RO/DI. If you run your tank for very long, they can seep into the rock and you may NEVER get them out.

I agree 100%

jeff@zina.com
10/14/2010, 03:02 PM
The problem with testing tap water is the stuff you can't easily test for. TDS isn't the issue, it's what those dissolved solids are that is the issue. Obviously, a TDS of 0 means you're in the clear, which is what you should expect of your RODI.

That said, if you have a low TDS, maybe 200 or under, you're off to a good start. But if a lot of that is phosphates, and it often is, you'll get algae problems out the overflow. Your tank will be fine as far as the fish and coral are concerned, but you're going to be chasing annoying problems instead of sitting with your significant other and saying "See honey, this tank really is the best thing we ever did..." :)

Jeff