PDA

View Full Version : Sump return pump recommendations...

sn4265
10/14/2010, 08:43 PM
I just picked up a 40 gal breeder from the Petco sale today as a sump for a new 120 gal tank that I'm slowly setting up. Now the question is, what submersible return pump should I use? The tank is drilled for a pair of returns and I have a flex hose attached to a PVC T section that goes to each return. I have no idea what kind of flow rate to look for based on this tank size and head loss on the return.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions here.

inlandreef
10/15/2010, 06:09 AM
I have a 120 with a single overflow and Im using a Mag 9.5. I would think you might want something bigger like a mag 12 or higher then you can use a valve to adjust your flow

sn4265
10/15/2010, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I was actually trying to decide between the Mag 7 and the Mag 9.5. The chart I found online for these pumps indicates 420 gph @ 5' for the Mag 7 and 750 gph on the 9.5. I just wasn't sure how much flow I should be pushing thru the sump. In my reading I've seen numbers for tank flow of anywhere between 5 and 20 tank cycles per hour for total flow depending on fish coral, etc. However, I don't recall coming across anything indicating how much of that flow should be thru the sump?

IslandCrow
10/15/2010, 07:29 AM
I've always really liked Eheims. They're quiet, reliable and don't seem to produce very much heat, especially compared to the MAG pumps. For an easy test on the latter, place a Mag pump in a 5g bucket and run it for about 15 minutes. Feel how warm the water gets. Now try the same with an equivalently powerful Eheim. The difference is immediately noticable. On the other hand, Mag pumps do seem to be quite reliable, and dollar for gph, they're certainly one of the most cost effective pumps out there.