PDA

View Full Version : starting a sps nano...need lighting advice

CBlair
10/15/2010, 05:51 PM
im starting an sps nano. the tank is an advance acrylic 12x14x14. I do keep sps in a larger tank with all the bells and whistles so i know the challenge this posesses. i am curious if anyone has any eperience with the maxspect g1 60w or the new g2 60w led fixture. I am having a hard time deciding on lighting... would like to stay away from mh because of the heat issues. i have thought about the par 38 but im looking for somthing a bit more pleasing to the eye, but not sure if these 60w fixtures will be enough to sustain sps although it is a small tank. any advice would be much appreciated.

thewire
10/16/2010, 06:19 PM
those maxspect lighting is nice..there is a big following on those light. Also Aquaillumination too. Also DIY LED...

Maybe you can use 2 par30 or par38 LED from either rapidled, nanotuners or boostled

CBlair
10/16/2010, 06:37 PM
thanks for the reply. i see there is quite the following for maxspect. dont see alot of the smaller 60w version, especially for use in a small sps tank. if the claims are true that it puts out the same par as a 70w mh then i think it would work in my tank being only 12x14x14, just wondering what other sps keepers would think.

TheDean
10/19/2010, 03:39 PM
thanks for the reply. i see there is quite the following for maxspect. dont see alot of the smaller 60w version, especially for use in a small sps tank. if the claims are true that it puts out the same par as a 70w mh then i think it would work in my tank being only 12x14x14, just wondering what other sps keepers would think.

70Watt MH is pretty weak even for the dimensions you listed. The dimmability is nice on the maxspect versions, go with G2 if anything. Which sps do you plan to house? That makes a huge difference.

UnderWaterworld
10/22/2010, 11:06 PM
I would say go with T5's, I know they make a 11" T5 HO bulb. If not the T5's I would do the LED's. MH's can be too strong for tanks that size and I would do T5's over a 70watt MH because of the color of the T5's, just my two pennies.

reeftanker3295
10/22/2010, 11:11 PM
Go LED's. You can dim them and they won't heat up the tank.

CBlair
10/24/2010, 04:39 PM
thanks guys. i ordered the new aquaillumination sol nano led. they are being released very soon i was told they should start shipping this week. this light looks awesome and has complete control of dimming and intensity throughout the day. looking forward to trying this thing out.