PDA

View Full Version : Serious issue!!! Crash and burn.

msr224
10/15/2010, 06:10 PM
So here's the story. A couple of weeks ago I bought some foam filter blocks for my sump to go between the fuge and return section. The goal was to keep the little chunks of "stuff" out of the tank. I know the pods and stuff would have a hard time....that's not the problem right now.

The foam filter blocks were made for an aquaclear filter.

I was talking with my Dad, he's in the foam business.... I showed him the blocks and asked if he could get me some cut specifically to a size and shape. He did. He said all it was is reticulated foam. it's made through a special process to make it so open celled.

I installed the first block today and took the aquaclear ones out and washed them.

A couple of hours later I looked at the tank and it looked terrible. EVERY ONE of the corals was shrivled up. None of my snails are moving and my firefish was acting weird.

Luckily I had mixed up about 20 gallons of SW for a water change tomorrow but it wasn't up to temp yet. I also had a 5 gallon jug of old water from last weeks WC. I pulled out the foam and drained 25 gallons out of the system. As I was doing this we lost the Firefish. I also rushed in to the LFS who stayed open waiting for me and picked up some activated carbon. I've got that in there and the new water as well.

I even put in that old jug of water. My params have been good and when i tested as I was draining the 25 gallons- 0 ammo. 0 nitrite, 5-10 Nitrate 8.2 Ph.

Anything else that I can do?

I have the RO open wide filling another barrel for tomorrow. I usually let the water age for a few days before I do my WC's but I couldn't today and probably can't tomorrow.

msr224
10/15/2010, 06:12 PM
I don't have a QT or anything else to put the inhabitants in either.....

JoeRonda
10/15/2010, 06:16 PM
Whoa, sorry to hear that about your Firefish. Hopefully everything else pulls through. I wish you all the luck in the world. Sounds like maybe the foam is manufactured with some sort of industrial compound ( not good for aquaria ) I wonder what it is?

msr224
10/15/2010, 06:22 PM
In talking with my Dad he says that the foam is not treated with anything that is not in the actual composition of the foam....

No spray treatments or additives. Just the foam. He did say that part of the foam composition is an anti-microbial. The foam is designed to be open and dry easy for things like inside boat seats and such.

Right now everything hanging in there.

Palting
10/15/2010, 06:26 PM
Holy smokes!

I'd talk to the LFS and see if you can transfer your livestock to his tanks. Start making more saltwater and make a close to 100% WC, get the carbon in there ASAP.

Wow. I'd talk to your dad. We are always talking about "food grade" stuff for our tanks, and maybe there is something in those foam blocks that is not food grade.

VacavilleFC3S
10/15/2010, 06:27 PM
bingo keyword "anti-microbial" thats your problem

msr224
10/15/2010, 06:28 PM
bingo keyword "anti-microbial" thats your problem

So, what can I do now? Anything else?

VacavilleFC3S
10/15/2010, 07:14 PM
ask your dad for an MSDS on that material. carbon, water changes and maybe some poly-filter, not much else you can do

msr224
10/15/2010, 07:27 PM
ask your dad for an MSDS on that material. carbon, water changes and maybe some poly-filter, not much else you can do

I will see if he can email me the MSDS tomorrow. I got a big bag of the carbon in the sump now. As for the poly filter...they didn't have one at LFS.

As of right now the tank is stable......a few of the yellow polyps are halfway out again. The fish are all acting weird, swimming in places they don't normally swim.... CB is turcked up at the top next to the black overflow....he's never up there. He does make an occasional lap around the front of the tank.....

I have the RO output in my barrel and will let it run all night and tomorrow which will give me another 20 or so gallons. I will mix that and do another WC tomorrow evening.

aleonn
10/15/2010, 11:43 PM
Yikes, the LR will have absorbed a lot of that anti-microbial stuff. You'll probably have to get it replaced in the near future to prevent leaching over time.

Sisterlimonpot
10/16/2010, 12:28 AM
WOW! Lesson learned. I knew from reading the 3rd paragraph of your first post that it wasn't going to be good, antimicrobial or anything with a mold and mildew resistant on the label is a no go for out mini ecosystems.

Keep us posted (good or bad) as to the outcome of everything.

lordofthereef
10/16/2010, 04:36 AM
Just thought I would add that in the long run the foam (even if using the sage stuff) is going to be a bigger pain to keep clean than I think it's worth. Everything else worth saying has beenentioned already I think!

msr224
10/16/2010, 03:47 PM
So far we have only lost the fire fish and a few of the margarita snails......

I have another 25 gallons of water mixing and heating for a WC tomorrow morning.

The corals are looking slightly better but not by much. Temp, salinity and params all fine.....PH down a little from where it always was but not by much.... 8.0 vs 8.2.....

Hopefully i've escaped complete and total anihillation.....

Yes, i'm a Noob.......

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP. I was seriously freaking out last night....

I feel terrible for my firefish.....My 8yr old even cried...."but Dad I loved him..."

Talk about feeling low........

Sk8r
10/16/2010, 05:32 PM
The tank may try to re-cycle, since the anti-microbe stuff did a number on your tank bacteria you so carefully cultivated, so hold off on replacing ANYTHING until the tank sorts itself out. test daily for ammonia. Polyfilter would get out any residue of the stuff, likely, and beyond that, water changes will help keep the tank stable. Don't buy anything new or do anything to this tank beyond feed modestly and test and do weekly water changes. It may be a few weeks before it's entirely through this.

aleonn
10/16/2010, 05:44 PM
Hopefully the worst is over. We're all pulling for ya :)

msr224
10/16/2010, 08:10 PM
The tank may try to re-cycle, since the anti-microbe stuff did a number on your tank bacteria you so carefully cultivated, so hold off on replacing ANYTHING until the tank sorts itself out. test daily for ammonia. Polyfilter would get out any residue of the stuff, likely, and beyond that, water changes will help keep the tank stable. Don't buy anything new or do anything to this tank beyond feed modestly and test and do weekly water changes. It may be a few weeks before it's entirely through this.

Thanks Sk8r- no new additions for at least a few weeks. Got it..... I wasn't planning on it anyway. Want to let everything settle for a while and get back to normal. Polyfilter???? I went to premium aquatics in person today and they said they had no such thing. Also went to a big pet store in indy that has a lot of SW stuff...no such luck. They both tried to sell me purigen..... Where can I get this polyfilter of which you speak?

Hopefully the worst is over. We're all pulling for ya :)

Thanks Aleonn. I appreciate it. Just hope that someone else learns from my mistake!

Rybren
10/16/2010, 08:39 PM
You can get Poly-Filter at Dr F&S or Marine Depot.

Someone local must carry it.

This is the stuff that you're looking for...

http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyfilter.html

dtran01
10/17/2010, 02:11 AM
2nd on the poly-filter. that filter has ksaved me so many times i've lost count.

it will efficiently and quickly get rid of any stuff that's still dissolved in your water.

msr224
10/17/2010, 05:51 AM
Thanks, that's what I needed. Going to order a couple. One for NOW and another to have on hand for the next Noob issue! Hopefully that one won't get used anytime soon or at all.

You can get Poly-Filter at Dr F&S or Marine Depot.

Someone local must carry it.

This is the stuff that you're looking for...

http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyfilter.html

SwampyBill
10/17/2010, 12:34 PM
+1 on poly-filter. To address the original issue of 'keeping little chunks of stuff out of tank'--cut back on your feeding. & just before doing water changes, blast the rockwork with a powerhead to really get detritus off & into water column so it can be siphoned out. Also, do you use a filter sock in sump?

msr224
10/18/2010, 08:43 AM
Haven't been using powerhead on rock Thought about it. I'll do that next WC. Just got done with one.

Chunks in the tank are little bits of macro algae or algae off the sides of the fuge.... I only feed about once every day, skip a day here and there. Maybe a second time every now and again.

Yep, using a filter sock. It's actually a mesh screen. I need to order a couple of filter socks. I need to figure out how I'm gonna mount it first. That's what I've been waiting on......

+1 on poly-filter. To address the original issue of 'keeping little chunks of stuff out of tank'--cut back on your feeding. & just before doing water changes, blast the rockwork with a powerhead to really get detritus off & into water column so it can be siphoned out. Also, do you use a filter sock in sump?

msr224
10/18/2010, 08:46 AM
A quick update. Just did a 20g WC. Lost a green chromis overnight. He hasn't been acting right since the incident. Other fish seem to be fine. Yellow polyps and mushroom look normal. GSP and Rics not looking any better. GSP not extending. Ric still mostly shriveled but not as bad as when it happened.

Poly filter on the way.

Palting
10/18/2010, 09:54 AM
GSP's are hardy SOB's. You basically have to kill everything in your tank before you even make a dent on them. They are, however, pouty, and will stay closed for about a week.

jeff@zina.com
10/18/2010, 09:58 AM
Have you been testing water parameters? If you had Aquaclear sponges in the sump and they becamse seeded with bacteria, you removed a chunk of biological filtration and may be going through a cycle. Water changes will be important, but you need to know what your water parameters are.

Jeff

dwculp
10/18/2010, 10:13 AM
If you dont have RO water ready to mix up, you can go to a grocery store and buy jugs of distilled water to mix up into saltwater. Make sure it is distilled and not drinking water.

msr224
10/22/2010, 12:35 PM
Tested tank this morning and all looking good.

Ammonia-0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 0-5
Ph- 7.8-8.0 color is in between

Everything is looking better. The 3 fish i have left seem fine. The chromis is lonely.....hahahaha

The GSP and mushroom look like they did before the issue. The Ric is a little smaller but starting to look a little more normal again. The YSP are not looking so hot. Still not as fully extended and big.

Thanks for the help everyone.