PDA

View Full Version : trouble with KH after useing dolamite?

podman1973
10/17/2010, 09:42 PM
here is my problem i just changed out the media in my Cal reactor and this time I added brightwells MAg media (dolamite) and now it seem im haveing trouble maint. my ALK. I was doing 1 prop evey 10 sec adn maint. 8.2 but now im doing 1 drop every 3 sec adn barely holding 7.4. The ph in my reactor is 6.5, I have added several new sps so i thought tha tmay be the culprit but i dont want to blast my corals by putting too many drips per sec in my tank anyoen ever had problems woth the brightwell product?

bertoni
10/17/2010, 11:16 PM
I think increasing the bubble rate slowly would be fine. For the moment, some baking soda would help with the alkalinity. I'd watch the magnesium and calcium closely, too.

podman1973
10/18/2010, 04:32 PM
They have all ben just slightyly below par as well Ca= 380, Mag=1200, its been tow weeks so my system should of started riseing by now when i first go tthe cal reactor it only took 3 days for my system para. to fall in line. I've never had thsi happen befor it just doesnt seem to rise regaudles of how much i increase the drip rate?

bertoni
10/18/2010, 04:50 PM
The tank might be consuming more alkalinity, or the drip rate might need to go up more. I'd fix the levels with some supplements, though, and not try to raise them with the reactor. If the alkalinity is dosed up using baking soda, and it drops down again, the reactor needs more carbon dioxide or a better drip rate, or both. I don't think increasing the drip rate by itself necessarily will increase the output rate of alkalinity into the system, if that's all you've been changing.

neoalchemist74
10/18/2010, 08:08 PM
What calcium media did you use ? I've had the same problem I thought it was dolomite but now i believe it was because I also switched to a coarser calcium media. I've since switched back to finer media and seem to be achieving stability again.

podman1973
10/18/2010, 09:52 PM
Ive always used the large corase media and been fine. The ph in my reactor 6.5 I guess ill have to try and slowly bring up my drip rate i just mad ea similar mistake when i first got the reactor and killed many corals.