PDA

View Full Version : Will this tank work?

pfan151
10/17/2010, 10:44 PM
I am looking to get my son a small tank for christmas and am just starting to look over my options. I used to be pretty big into the hobby but all of my experience has been with MH lighting. Will the tank in the link work for some of the less demanding corals and maybe a small bubble tip anemone? Is there anything besides a maybe couple powerheads that I should consider adding? I am just a little concerned that there will not be enough light. Any suggestions of similarly sized (looking at the 12gal model) options that may be a better choice for under $300? Thanks for any help.

http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Nano_Cube_Aquarium_with_(2)_Nite_Vu_LED_Moonlights_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks-JBJ_Lighting-JB7111-FIAQNCNT-vi.html

KiaSaf
10/18/2010, 12:55 AM
I'm almost certain the majority of people are going to tell you a bubble tip anemone is going to require MH/LED lighting or at least a lot more PAR than what those stock PC lights can offer.

pompeyjohn
10/18/2010, 04:29 AM
I agree. I don't think PC's are going to be enough.

Also a 12g is really quite small for an anemone, even a small one. And they need a really stable tank to survive - so it will be at least six months before one can be added.

If you want to go the AIO tank route and need stronger lighting, you have two options.

Buy a retrofitted canopy with lighting modifications performed on it, or.... point your own lighting solution over it. For both check out nanotuners.com They all sell just the tanks without the lighting so you can save a little money by not buying a canopy you will not need.

Just FYI, I went with a 24 cube, and use two ikea desk lamp stands to hold some nanotuner PAR38 LED lights. They were a little pricey but look great, and the electricity bill is very low.

Hope that helps :)