PDA

View Full Version : Can I Dim These LED's With Apex?

cm11599ps
10/18/2010, 09:26 PM
I currently shopping for lighting for my soon to be 55 gallon reef. I do have 2 of the following led bars that I was using in my freshwater setup.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+19788&pcatid=19788

I just stuck these to the underside of my hood so the light is pointing down. It's not the best effect because it kind of acts as a flashlight, directing the light to the substrate below instead of diffusing it around the tank.

I then took each wand and stuck them at the top sides of the tank pointing towards each other. The effect is better but they are too bright, even when only using one.

Is there a way to possibly dim these led's so I can better use them as moonlighting?

kenargo
10/18/2010, 09:31 PM
There is no indication in the product documentation that these LEDs are controllable externally so it would appear the answer would be no. You may be able to dissassemble the LED power unit and wire up a different one that is controllable if you are that kind of DIYer but it may not be so easy depending on the mfg.