PDA

View Full Version : Hippocampus Capensis Q?

Meus
10/19/2010, 03:00 PM
I have been wanting to seahorses for a while now and I found a book by Alisa Abbott called "The Complete Guide To Dwarf Seahorses In The Aquarium", awhile back. So I set on a journey to research dwarf seahorses and even invinted a automatic bbs hatchery. I ended up giving up on seahorses and went on a parrot kick but I finally ended up with a nice little soon to be reef tank. Anyways in the back there is this seahorse species that really called my name, Hippocampus Capensis. I did a little more research and found some being sold as Zulu Lulus or something like that. But there isn't much more out there. So can I get some information on things like tanks size, tankmates, feeding station ideas, lighting, corals, live or dead rock, water movement, etc.

BTW, I also like bluestripe pipefish, can they be trained to a feeding station, can I mix these species?

rayjay
10/19/2010, 03:40 PM
Because the H. capensis is a smaller seahorse like H. fuscus, you can probably get by with a 20g tank for one pair of them, but 29/30g for a normal pair of seahorses like erectus or reidi.
However, because capensis are temperate seahorses, you would need a chiller to maintain the cooler water needed for them.
Seahorses are best kept in species only tanks so for best chance of success, don't mix species or even the same species from a different breeding source.
Seahorses don't need anything more than ambient lighting, but if you have corals you have to go with their needs.
No stinging corals, no anemones, and clams are not recommended but some people do keep clams in their tank, there still is the chance the clams can close up on the seahorses.
If you start off with "dead" rock" you have less chance of passing off pathogens from the rock to the seahorses.
Your tank can have low, medium, and high flow areas, with hitching available in each area so they can hitch where they wish.
It can be more hazardus putting pipefish in with seahorses because most are wildcaught and as such have the potential to be carrying more pathogens than true captive bred seahorses have, with the resultant loss of seahorse and pipefish.
There are some links at the bottom of "MY THOUGHTS ON SEAHORSE KEEPING" (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html) page that can provide a lot of starting information on the seahorse hobby.

namxas
10/19/2010, 04:28 PM
What Ray sez...

I just wanted to add the "Zulu Lulu" is Ocean Rider's trade name for H. capensis (you'll notice all of their stock has "cutesy" names). IME/IMHO, OR is over-priced, rather full of themselves, and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

However, they may be the only source for capensis (assuming they actually have some).

That being said, aside from being a coolwater species, based on the experiences of folks who've kept them, cap fry are super easy to rear (even easier than erectus).

mikencarol
10/19/2010, 11:21 PM
Cap fry may be easy to raise and Ocean Rider:thumbdown... may be the only source...BUT...I promise I have learned my lesson by purchasing..or should I just say "paying" for seahorses from them...you'll notice I never said "Recieved"......LESSON LEARNED.....purchase form a reputable source....like Seahorse Source (DanU).

TamiW
10/19/2010, 11:58 PM
I don't think they have H. capensis anymore. I haven't seen them available on their site in years and I haven't heard of anyone keeping them in equally as long. If you like them, I'd try to get a hold of H. fuscus, as recommended above.

Meus
10/20/2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the replies.:). More research to do.

Meus
10/20/2010, 03:20 PM
FishGrrl, I just read your signature and realized that fusedjaw is one of my favorite websites, in fact I joined your forum awhile ago (sevenswords). I haven't been on there in a while.