PDA

View Full Version : turbo snails?

drcarr
10/20/2010, 06:49 AM
Hey guys,
I have a 65G mixed reef going for 10 months now. The CUC has about 50% died off since first BEng introduced 8 months ago. I need to add some turbo snails and nassarius as well as a handful of hermits.

How many turbos would you guys recommend?

Also, how long should I expect the average turbo snail to live in a healthy tank?

Thanks!

Conrad25
10/20/2010, 06:57 AM
I would do 3 turbo's max in that setup. I had 4 in mine for ever. One perished I'm guessing do to its age. But all mine are dollar coin width and just huge. I think average is a few years on these guys, but have never asked so I will let someone else chime in on that:bounce2:

noahm
10/20/2010, 07:09 AM
Make sure you get the mexican turbos, or trochus snails as the regular astrea/turbos just wind up tipping over and dying, or getting stuck in the rock. I really like nerites too as they get all over the glass pretty well and often reproduce. 2-3 mexi turbos, and maybe 40 split up between nerite, nass, cerith, would probably be a good addition. Hermits are optional.

drcarr
10/20/2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the quick advice guys! Going to pick up 3 Mex turbos and a few ceriths from the LFS today!

NYCBOB
10/20/2010, 09:34 AM
Mex turbo r awesome. They don't do well if ur temperature is higher than 80. They eat algae like crazy. Get 3 at most. I bv 3 in my 72.