PDA

View Full Version : Advice: First tank change

speedo2wet
10/20/2010, 08:10 AM
Morning ladies and Gents,
It's finally that time when I am going to change out my 75 gallon reef for a 150 gallon tank. This will be my first time do a change like this and would love as much advice as possible to make things go smoothly and for non of my corals to die.

At this moment I reside in a 75 gallon glass tank, live rock of course and many corals. I'm running a deep 4" sand bed and thats about it. The overflow runs into two small tanks at the bottom of the tank: 1st is the refugium with a little sand, 2nd is a tank to house the foam fractionator and the phosphate reactor. The tank has been up and running for just about 8 years now and is in need of either an overhaul with aquascaping or to move into a new tank; I decided the latter since one became available. (I'll get pics shortly)

The new tank is a little different of a set up, which bothers me a bit so I am not sure how to approach it. 150 gallon acrylic tank with curved edges, I was told the tank was custom made about 7 years ago (all acrylic - tank/stand/top). There is no system under the tank but was designed to be in the back. I'll try and explain but I'll get pics for this one soon too. There are 6 slots in the back of the tank that the water flows through, it moves over a lip and comes in contact with a stacking bio ball drip factory. Theres one of these on each side lining the back of the tank (2 in all). The water collects in the bottom compartments which has many bubble diffusers and eventually comes to the return pump. From here as we all know, the pump then return is back to the tank. The back filter section of the tank is only about 3 inches wide so it's very small. It has a piano type hinge on it that flips up to stabalize the bio ball drip factory.

This means no refugium and I'm not sure where I am to hang or put the foam fractonator and phosphate reactor. Not that I didn't have a filtration system on the 75gallon since I did not use bio balls or anything else except for the live rock and sand that is in the main tank. Am I over thinking this?

When I do the change out I was thinking of placing the live rock and corals in a 55 gallon drum that I have along with the water and a recirculating pump till I'm ready. The sand will go in a few buckets and the fish in another. Once I move the tank and stand I have to finish the floor which should take only a day to do. Will the corals and live rock be ok for a day and a half until I can get the tank set up? Any other worries I should look at?

Any advice would be great - I'm a little worried but excited too.
I will definetly keep everyone posted on my exchange with pics.:spin2:

Sugar Magnolia
10/20/2010, 11:57 AM
Your livestock will be fine in the tubs with adequate water movement. Just be sure to use heaters if necessary. The only thing I can see that will more than likely be a problem is reusing the old sand bed. Once disturbed it will release a bunch of trapped detritus which can cause an ammonia spike and a cycle. Either rinse the sand thoroughly with fresh water (save a few scoops to reseed) or start with a brand new sand bed, adding a few scoops of the old sand bed to seed it. Dry aragonite is farily inexpensive.

Good luck with the move and enjoy your larger tank!

speedo2wet
10/20/2010, 06:55 PM
Thank you and great point. I think I'll take you expertise on the matter. I was afraid about the sand bed since I never disturb it in the past years. New sand bed and some scoops of the old to reseed it.
Any thoughts on the bio ball filtration in the back and maybe a nitrate factory in the future or should I worry about that later?