PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon III (no so) Extreme 150

reefkeeps
10/20/2010, 12:18 PM
I purchased the following item, The Typhoon III Extreme 150.

Today I called the company to ask why my DI cartridge is dead after a single month and they stated because the rejection rate is only 90% to 92% on the 150s. :hmm4:

On the website it states the following

“Chloramines guzzling (5) stage 150 GPD R.O.D.I. Pure Water System The Typhoon III Extreme 150

"Where do I start describing this incredible value? “With the membrane a real silica and TDS assassin, that produces up to 150 gallons per day; rated at (98) % rejection of TDS. The De-ionization filter then reduces the TDS to ZERO! “

When I pointed out the website says 98%, she responded with, “yeah that’s old information, we don’t carry that membrane anymore”. She offered to SELL me two new (75 Gal) membranes and a new housing so that I could get the 98% rejection.

I purchased this item a month ago and the best offer they have for me is to charge me $100 to get what was originally sold to me…. They did offer to replace the DI media but how does that help me beyond the current month? :furious:

I purchase this unit because they HAD great service in the past, clearly that is not the case now. To me this really boils down to an ethical issue, am I overreacting?

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/reefkeep/Fraud.jpg

reefkeeps
10/29/2010, 08:05 PM
They have now changed the description but have done nothing to help me or anyone else who purchased this under false pretenses.

92awdGSX
10/30/2010, 05:50 PM
yup I am currently going through the same thing. I bought mine about 2 months ago and last week my TDS was high and the alarm was flashing. I have sent several emails with no response........

92awdGSX
11/04/2010, 07:00 PM
They have since sent me a replacement DI media kit. I am still very dissappointed about the product.

reefkeeps
11/04/2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah they did that as well, they also sent me a new RO membrane after I disputed it with my credit card. What they gave me is 75 gallon membrane so it's still not what I paid for, I'm over it.

1boatnut
11/12/2010, 06:12 AM
WoW !
I was just going to reccomend this unit to someone as my neighbor has this same unit purchased almost a year ago (it where I purchase my water),,,but now I doubt I will.
Sounds like pretty pi$$ poor service ,along with false advertisement.
Glad your over it,I would have disputed the entire sale and made them take the unit back,shipping and all.

I also forwarded this post to the neighbor,as he just bougt replacement cartridges too.

FearTheTerps
11/17/2010, 02:16 AM
I have never had any problems with my unit from AWI, In fact I've been pleased with all my purchases from them and I feel that they have wonderful customer service. They are a sponser of my local reef club, Whenever anyone has had a problem or question, an email to the company was always followed up with a quick reply and resolution. AWI even offers our club a very good discount on purchases, they just recently stated to us that our club members are their best customers, using our discount more then any other club that they offer the discount to.

With that being said, I looked at their website and it still states that the rejection rate is 98%, which is pretty typical for all manufacturers. I dont see how a 90% rejection rate would very feasible in most applications to get 0 TDS, it may be ok for an RO unit, but not an RODI unit.

You didnt state any valves of your water quality. What was your source TDS? TDS After just the membrane? TDS at output?

Also alot of the times the DI chamber doesnt completely fill with water, and can cause channeling through the media. This can make it appear that the resin is depleted, but its likely that only a portion of the DI resin was used. If you have the color changing resin you will notice this if you look at all the resin in the chamber.

reefkeeps
11/17/2010, 06:09 AM
I have never had any problems with my unit from AWI, In fact I've been pleased with all my purchases from them and I feel that they have wonderful customer service. They are a sponsor of my local reef club, Whenever anyone has had a problem or question, an email to the company was always followed up with a quick reply and resolution. AWI even offers our club a very good discount on purchases, they just recently stated to us that our club members are their best customers, using our discount more then any other club that they offer the discount to.

I get they used to have great customer service, hell I know that from first hand experience.... I'm just speaking to my current (and last) experience with them. :wavehand:

With that being said, I looked at their website and it still states that the rejection rate is 98%, which is pretty typical for all manufacturers. I don't see how a 90% rejection rate would very feasible in most applications to get 0 TDS, it may be ok for an RO unit, but not an RODI unit.

Strange, I just checked again, please make sure you are looking at the Typhoon III Extreme 150, it looks like they don't even state a rejection rate anymore... I agree with you 90% is not feasible unless you plan on spending $60 a month in DI media....... Speaking of the website I noticed my review of the product isn't listed, censorship of the reviews, nice!:thumbsup:

You didn't state any valves of your water quality. What was your source TDS? TDS After just the membrane? TDS at output?

Only because I've been down this path, keep in mind AWS is the one that pointed out the RO membrane was the issue, in fact, they stated it was working better than expected based off the rejection rate....

Also a lot of the times the DI chamber doesn't completely fill with water, and can cause channeling through the media. This can make it appear that the resin is depleted, but its likely that only a portion of the DI resin was used. If you have the color changing resin you will notice this if you look at all the resin in the chamber.

Yes I agree, I used (and still use) color changing DI media, it was 100% depleted.