PDA

View Full Version : Pumps

Bigjohnwoody
10/20/2010, 01:23 PM
I have a question on what pumps to use for different things. First off I have a 120 with 30 gallon sump and want to do 10% water changes weekly or in that range at least is what I'm thinking. So I need to know recommendations on pump size for water changes. Next I will have two Brute trash cans. One for just plain Ro/di and the other with mixed saltwater in it. Is it a good idea to keep the water circulating in both of these so the water is not stagnant or does it not matter? What size pump or what do I use to do that. Thankyou

aleonn
10/20/2010, 01:50 PM
I use a Maxi-Jet 1200 inside my Brute trash cans. Good to mix the salt, as well as oxygenating the water if you have good surface agitation.

sn4265
10/20/2010, 04:15 PM
I'm in a very similar situation, but I'm not planning to make and store that much water at any one time. One thing I find peculiar is that you seem to be changing an awful lot of water. From my reading it seems for salt water systems the water change recommendations are about half that or even less. My plan is for about a 10% water change every other week as most of what I see recommends about 20% per month. I don't think you are going to hurt anything by changing that much water, other than your expenses in the long run.

I would love to hear feedback from the experts here about this.

Bigjohnwoody
10/20/2010, 04:47 PM
I am all for doing less than 10% a week but I read on this awhile back and it seemed to me that 10% a week was popular some did less and some did more. I am sure it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other but hopefully we will see what people have to say.

Sisterlimonpot
10/23/2010, 03:25 PM
exactly... you are both right, the biggest thing is what you're trying to accomplish, waterchanges are purely to help nutrient export and adding depleted trace elements back to the tank. If it's not necessary to to do those as often then you can cut back on the frequency. However if it's the opposite, than you have to do them more often.