PDA

View Full Version : RKL as a heater controller

BuckeyeTodd
10/21/2010, 08:05 AM
I have been nervous lately about a heater shorting out and crashing my tank. I currently use two jager heaters that are 1 yr and six months old respectively. So my question is, with heaters that are working properly which is safer for my tank. To continue the way I am going that is working, or adding a RKL to use as a failsafe. The other features of controllers don't do much for me is why I am saying the RKL because its the cheapest controller with a good reputation

Dave VG
10/21/2010, 08:20 AM
Subscribed to this as i was wondering the same thing.

Chris27
10/21/2010, 08:36 AM
The Reefkeeper does a great job of controlling heaters, it uses a temp probe and digital controller to control the heater vice relying on an inaccurate thermostat inside the heater itself. Watch your power though, the Reefkeeper PC 4 can only handle so much power, so you may need to get the high current module.

christopher1260
10/21/2010, 08:38 AM
I have set up my RKL as my primary switch. I set it to keep the temperature at 79. The heater is set at 81. This allows the RKL to turn the heater on and off, but if it fails the heater will only raise the water 2 degrees past the desired set point. This also protects the most fragile part of a heater, the bimetal thermometer, as it is always set to "on" because the tank is constantly below the set point. Many will tell you that a dedicated Ranco controller is more reliable, and I agree. On my tank though, this provides one more layer of security and can also control my lighting. I have been pleased with this setup.
Cheers,
CJ

patsfan1130
10/21/2010, 08:49 AM
A RK will get the job done. A Ranco is much better as that is all it does. Therefore there is MUCH less chance for failure. If you are only interested in controlling temp. Get a Ranco.

BuckeyeTodd
10/21/2010, 09:27 AM
I had never heard of the ranco, I'm looking at them right now. Is there a particular one that would work, because I'm on overload trying to figure out the electrician speak on the website I'm looking at.

edit: maybe this one since it has two outlets for my two heaters http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc211000000-stage-p-105.html

psteeleb
10/21/2010, 10:30 AM
regardless of controller brand I like using a quality titanium heater with a built thermostat hooked up to a controller for redundancy

and for larger systems (over 150g) strongly suggest going with 2 smaller heaters instead of one large one - that way if one fails altogther you have some heat, and if for some reason you redundant controller both fails you over heat the tank at a slower pace

sslak
10/21/2010, 10:53 AM
You could also use a Ranco Temperature controller for your heaters, which would be cheaper than the RKL.

That said, the RKL really is impressive for the price. I have the old RK2 which was around $250 new and still the best piece of equipment I ever bought. You eliminate all your lighting timers, and never have to worry about a heater failure or a cheap thermostat lying to you.

I run mine with 2 Jager heaters, the 150watt heater kicks in first, and if the temp drops another 0.5 degrees below the threshold, the 50watt kicks in as a backup.

Additionally you can program it to kick in fans if your temp goes too high, and even shut down your lights if your temp keeps rising.

I highly recommend the controller, it's worth every penny.

Pickupman66
10/21/2010, 12:19 PM
FWIW, I dont have a RKL controller but i do have a Medusa Dual temp controller. its instructions said to set the heater 2degrees higher than its setting for redundancy. this way I have a truly digital device handling the temp control. it manages my chiller and the heater circuit. in the winter, I unplug the chiller and service it. (almost time)

BuckeyeTodd
10/21/2010, 12:56 PM
ok...so i figured out that the dual stage ranco is what I need, and they are similar in price...a couple of you stated that this is more reliable than the rkl, but why(I haven't seen people complaining about the rkl being unreliable)?

lordofthereef
10/21/2010, 01:34 PM
A RK will get the job done. A Ranco is much better as that is all it does. Therefore there is MUCH less chance for failure. If you are only interested in controlling temp. Get a Ranco.

Out of curiosity, do you base this statement on people who have had failures with the RKL? I don't think that just because ALL the ranco is meant for is controlling temperature that it should be assumed that it will do the better job.

wilsonreefs
10/21/2010, 02:11 PM
The PC4's will handle 15 amps each (PC4). that said, It would handle 2 heaters just fine. I would definately go with the RKL, I personally have the RKE and wouldn't trade it for anything. Also with the RKL you will have many more options than just the heater. you can set the PC4's channels as on off switches, monitor numbers of things. I don't know if the RKL comes with a SL1 or not. If not they're not very expensive. The SL1 allows you to monitor temp, ph, and will switch a auto top off. I just don't think if it were me I would buy something that only does one thing (ranco, heater). Just my .02

Carl

austin93
10/21/2010, 02:19 PM
I say get a ranco. Best piece of kit I have bought so far. Set the temp and forget it. With a RKL, I have to recalibrate my temp probe every once in a while and overall I just don't trust it. I am sure they are fine for the other aspects of reefing, but if you were to do all the things that have been suggested with the RKL you would quickly run out of outlets. It comes w/ 4 outlets. 2 would be for heaters then you mentioned adding fans. That leaves only 1 outlet. Of course you could add another module for 89$. I bought my ranco on fleabay for 50$ shipped.

Colin
10/21/2010, 02:34 PM
I have RKL's on both my tanks controlling heaters, fans, and lights. I made an easy topoff for my 83G that I hooked into the optional SL1 module (float switch and AquaLifter). I've had far too many heaters fail to even consider not using one. They work MUCH better than my old Aqua-Medic heater controller which failed on a regular basis.

I don't know about the Ranco, but I probably wouldn't buy another dedicated heater controller when I can get something so much more versatile for the same price.

--C

Ben_Im
10/21/2010, 02:48 PM
RKL is a really great value. I had mine controlling my heater (shuts off if temperature exceeds 82 degrees), my metal halides (shuts off if temperature exceeds 84 degrees), a powerhead on wavemaker, and an aqualifter pump (turned on 15 minutes a day) to use as a sort of "ghetto" auto top off. The great thing is you can adjust the timers down to seconds, so if you know your average evaporation rate, you can adjust your timer to add water at a similar rate.

Colin
10/21/2010, 02:55 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I have mine set to shut off the lights if the temp goes too high, too. Yet another level of safety.

--C

lordofthereef
10/21/2010, 05:15 PM
I say get a ranco. Best piece of kit I have bought so far. Set the temp and forget it. With a RKL, I have to recalibrate my temp probe every once in a while and overall I just don't trust it. I am sure they are fine for the other aspects of reefing, but if you were to do all the things that have been suggested with the RKL you would quickly run out of outlets. It comes w/ 4 outlets. 2 would be for heaters then you mentioned adding fans. That leaves only 1 outlet. Of course you could add another module for 89$. I bought my ranco on fleabay for 50$ shipped.

Interesting. Have you considered trying a new probe? Mine has been dead on (I leave a manual read temp guage in the sump) at all times for over a year.