PDA

View Full Version : pvc aquascape

auburngrad
10/21/2010, 10:35 AM
has anyone used pvc to aquascape? i have 40 lbs of base pukani and was going to put it on a pvc base, unless there are a lot of "dont do it" or a better idea comes out. i have a satndard 55 and just wanted to create a solid base and get the rock off the bottom of the tank

ashton1881
10/21/2010, 11:54 AM
I have been looking into this same thing, a guy at a different forum told me to get an egg crate and set it down then put my rock on top. Said the egg crate will be covered with sand so you wont see it and the rock wont be on the glass bottom. Don't know how good of advice that is, but I will be watching this thread to get some more advice as well.

sean112280
10/21/2010, 12:20 PM
I have also heard of using the eggcrate as a base to put your rocks onto. That is pretty good advice, from what I have read also. That is if you dont want your rock right on the glass. I have my rocks right on the bottom glass and I have not had any problems whatsoever.

zoohoot
10/21/2010, 12:52 PM
I used eggcrate and it seemed to work well. Easy to cut to size/shape as well.

lordofthereef
10/21/2010, 01:23 PM
The LFS is actually scaping a 1500g tank using all pvc as base. If I am not mistaken they are also plumbing it into a closed loop and drilling holes to keep good water movement in between all the rocks. It should be plenty sturdy for you. They are placing over 2k pounds of rock on it all. Not sure what size pvc it was, but I am guessing just by looking at it that it was in the 1.5" range.

nemosworld
10/21/2010, 03:50 PM
When i first setup my 110. i knew i wa sgoing with a dsb and wantesd to get an engineer goby, so i constructed 1/2 inch pvc as a base for my rockscaping. I then got texas whole rock for a base, filled with sand, then placed my LR on top. my local fishstore, did something diff, he constructed a tall base in his main tank and placed rocks around it and on top, this allowed a large cave for fishes to hide and for him to keep eels and a shark.

lordofthereef
10/21/2010, 03:51 PM
When i first setup my 110. i knew i wa sgoing with a dsb and wantesd to get an engineer goby, so i constructed 1/2 inch pvc as a base for my rockscaping. I then got texas whole rock for a base, filled with sand, then placed my LR on top. my local fishstore, did something diff, he constructed a tall base in his main tank and placed rocks around it and on top, this allowed a large cave for fishes to hide and for him to keep eels and a shark.

So there is just a bunch of rockwork on legs sitting inches/feet above the bottom?

patmack
10/21/2010, 04:10 PM
when i first setup my 110. I knew i wa sgoing with a dsb and wantesd to get an engineer goby, so i constructed 1/2 inch pvc as a base for my rockscaping. I then got texas whole rock for a base, filled with sand, then placed my lr on top. My local fishstore, did something diff, he constructed a tall base in his main tank and placed rocks around it and on top, this allowed a large cave for fishes to hide and for him to keep eels and a shark.

pics :)

auburngrad
10/22/2010, 07:08 AM
i have read that holes need to be drilled in the pvc, if so what size?