PDA

View Full Version : Running GFO

panhandler01
10/21/2010, 12:24 PM
I have a 55G with Remora Pro skimmer, 440 watts VHO and an HOB wet dry that I took all of the bioballs out of. I have some live rock rubble in the area of the filter that used to hold the bioballs. I would like to start using GFO and since I don't have a sump to run a reactor in, I was wondering if it would be effective at all or possibly harmful to run Phosban in a filter bag in my HOB filter. Thanks for any help.

dublo8
10/21/2010, 01:40 PM
I also have the same question. But also to comment on the no sump thing. If you dont have a sump all you need is to run a small powerhead in the tank to flow through the reactor. take for example 2 little fish phosban reactor can be configured to be a "HOB". I'm also wondering about the phosban in a filter bag. I think it would be ok in your HOB filter as long as its on the top because it has to have some "tumble" to the media. not much but it cant be packed down tightly. Maybe somebody else will weight in on subject about the filter bag.

ccLansman
10/21/2010, 02:01 PM
You can run it in a filter bag. Just make sure you wash it out well before placing in the HOB filter to clear out the excess dust.

allsps40
10/21/2010, 02:04 PM
Yep it will work, just not as well. Reactors are made to hang on tanks or use in sump. You can also put it in a small canister filter.

bertoni
10/21/2010, 04:37 PM
I agree that the PhosBan will work in a filter bag, but less efficiently, which might not matter. Just make sure that the flow is slow enough that the media doesn't get ground up.

podman1973
10/21/2010, 07:59 PM
GFO needs to tumble slightly to be effictive, so useing it in a filter bag would not be very effective

panhandler01
10/22/2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the help all. I think I'm going to try it and see how well it works. I'll report back.

TheCoralFarmer
10/22/2010, 07:12 PM
Best way is to attach a little reactor and run water slowly into it. i use 2 little fishes reactor and it works great. I dont think the filter bag would be to effective.

thecichlidpleco
10/22/2010, 09:21 PM
Just have to say that running it has literally destroyed the cyano in my tank.